How high can baby chicks fly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mylittlehof, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I have a fenced in area for the chickens for when they get older, but the area is not covered. The fence is about 6 foot. I wanted to let my 3 week old chicks wander around during the day in the area, but was worried about them flying up over the fence - is it possible or not a worry until they get bigger? I plan on clipping wings when I set them free from the coop. Thanks!

2. olp_63

olp_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine can "fly" farther distances than they can height wise. But I wouldn't call it flying, more like falling, with style.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My 10 week old chicks can jump and fly up almost 4.5 feet without any trouble. That's where my 2nd height of roost is and many of them just fly up there like it's second nature.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls "fall with style", too. In general, you can feel or hear the thump when they hit... I mean "land".

They can get over fences, though, so be careful. If you want to test their abilities, get some food they go gah-gah over & then test how high of an obstacle they'll clear for it.

Edited to add:
    I forgot that you were asking about "baby chicks". My girls are 5.5 weeks old & can get about 4 feet off the ground when motivated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  5. mylittlehof

mylittlehof Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    thanks for the replys - I feel better about putting them out - it will be supervised, so I can watch what they can do!

6. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My 6 wk old oegb chicks can fly up to the rafters in the barn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by