How high can orpingtons jump?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hamptons06, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
  2. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    my BO's show no interest in going over fences. They are pretty big girls.

That said, I prefer a cover to protect against hawks, owls and raccoons that can climb over the fence... Plus, a roof keeps your run a heck of a lot drier when it rains.

3. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Quote:Good point! Will do then! Thanks. [​IMG]

4. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a BO that is an escape artist. She can jump and sneak out of a lot of things. We actually watch her cruising the fence to see if there may be an opening anywhere she can get out of. Don't believe it when people say chickens aren't smart, mine certainly are.

5. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    In my short 7 week experience with BO's I saw that they will jump, or try to jump on something where they can land. They will not jump Over the fence. I have mine running around in the area surrounded by simple deer netting. It's only about a waist high and they do not attempt to jump over it because they cannot land on the top of the fence as it is very soft and does not look solid enough for them.

Here's what it looks like, it's practically transparent:

[​IMG]

6. bukbugack

bukbugack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    L.I. New York
    From what I've seen, BOs are not among the best jumpers or flyers. Last week, I saw my BO crash trying to make a 30" jump. They are all different, though, and I would'nt be surprised to find a BO that thinks it's an albatross.

7. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    Comp6512, great picture! I love the way your dog and your chickens match... did you plan that coordination?[​IMG]

8. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    One of my full grown BO roosters made it to the top of a 6' high chain link panel last week. I'm not sure how he got up there. I heard him carrying on behind the barn, went and checked, and he was atop the fence acting like he was king of the world. I have a feeling he flew against the fence and kept getting higher by grabbing the fence with his foot. I sure was surprised. He hasn't done it since.

9. comp6512

comp6512 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Quote:Absolutely! Lucy asked for some babies, I said OK. [​IMG]

10. swimmom

swimmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Carolinas
    My BO got to the top of a 4' fence post the other day. [​IMG] although not without effort! You might want to cover the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by