1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high can Rouens jump out of the water?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CJreef, Dec 9, 2014.

1. CJreef

CJreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    We just converted our stone pool (50x30) into a fish pond. Right now our 2 Rouens mostly spend their days free ranging back and forth from their small pond which feeds the new pond. They are able to pretty much walk out of their pond at one spot but they are unable to jump over the wall which is about 10" high above the water level. The drake tries but falls back in.

They have not tried to go into the new pond and I am worried that, if they do, they will not be able to jump out. The walls are about 6" above the water level. Does anyone have a similar situation?

Thank you.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My Muscovy's could probably do it but Rouens are heavier through their bodies so not sure they could.Is there anyway you could make a ramp that would attach to the side of the pond and lay in the pond on the water.? that would give you peace of mind about them being able to get out especially if you weren't there to help. We do this for any new ducklings here make a ramp that lays on the water and gives them a way out.

3. CJreef

CJreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you Miss Lydia. It sounds like a great idea. I can't do it myself but may be I can find someone locally who could.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When you do post pics, it's always nice to give other ideas if they have a problem like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by