How high can they fly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Downshifting, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Can large fowl birds...Orpingtons, RIR, Barred Rocks, etc...fly over a 4 ft fence when they are full grown/egg layin' age?

2. 4luvofchickens

4luvofchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Northern NY
    Yes. My barred rocks have flown over a 6 FT. fence.

3. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Yep, my BR's have also flown over a 6 foot fence

4. Crack N' Egg

Crack N' Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Flemington, NJ
    My heavier weighted birds like the ones you mentioned have a hard time flying up. They usually run and hop with their wings spread, but I never saw them fly upwards. They are too plump! [​IMG]

I have a white leghorn that can fly quite a distance and pretty high and some wyandottes that are light on their feet as well. But it is difficult for them. I think you should be ok with a 4 ft. I'd be more worried about things coming in then them going out!

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Once my Barred Rock is over the 4-foot fence, the PR (similar to and RIR) is right behind her. I clipped their wings, and it also became less of an issue once they got - well - 'thicker'. The BR did go over just two days ago, though, so I guess it's time for clipping again.

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Yes. They can if they want to at least..........whether they actually will or not depends on what is on the other side of the fence.

My entire property is fenced with 4 foot goat fencing. All my girls can go over it if they want to, clipped wings or not. They generally do not.

7. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    My RIR and Golden Comets "fly" (flapping and all from a dead stop) to the top of the chain link fence. Then they sit there for a minute or so before jumping off. They can "fly" over a 6 footer too if they really want to.

NellaBean is right. It is about how bad they want to get to the other side. Mine won't cross a fence, even the 4 footers, unless there is mowing on the other side. They always go where there is mowing taking place.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  8. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    These are pics of my biggest hen (although I only have 3!) around 10-12 feet up a tree she flew into from the chicken run area - she hasn't done it lately because she tends to go right by it instead (she's only around 5-6 months old too). The others can fly right out of the run (about 4 ft high) if they want too but it isn't as easy for them and I doubt they would have thought of it if they hadn't seen her do it first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I was afraid of that. I plan to give them supervised range time in my back yard...which is fenced with a 4-ft high picket fence. It would not be a good thing for me to be chasing a rogue bird down the street in my suburban neighborhood...so I am trying to decide if a large sheet of avian netting over part of the back yard would be a good idea. It's starting to sound so. During unsupervised times, they will have a coop and run of the Fort Knox type to hang out in.

10. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Once I clipped their wings and they got to laying age, it really wasn't a problem anymore. I let them free range when I am home, but I don't stay out there with them. I doubt there is much to attract them to flying over to the street. Mine usually flew over to the neighbors yard, I think when they saw lizards or bugs over there. Plus when they did go over, they rarely ever wandered further than a few feet from the fence. Only once did they fly into the alley behind my house and go on an adventure into the other neighbors yard where I couldn't see them. I think they decided it was scary and never did it again. They also used to freak out when they decided they wanted back into the yard and frantically stick their necks through the holes in the chain link, as though suddenly they would be able to shrink down small enough to fit through a three inch hole. They never did figure out that they could fly BACK over the fence into their own yard....... sigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by