How high can they fly?

plantoneonme

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 12, 2011
Just wondering how high an average chicken can fly. I would like to let them free range in my back yard but the fence isn only 4' high. I am trying to keep them a secret from my neighbors and certainly don't want to knock on their door to ask if I can go into their yard to retreive an excapee.

A 4 foot fence can easily be hopped or flown over. 6 feet is about the maximum although a 7 foot fence would definitely keep them in. So being that your fence is only 4 feet tall, you could try trimming their wings. Only trim one wing instead of both. Trimming only one wing on each bird, would cause them to feel unbalanced and might not want to fly. Trimming both and they might still have the strength to fly over. After they molt out all the trimmed feathers you will have to re trim.

Good luck in hiding those chickens!!
smile.png

I like flight questions. My American games can pull off a 20 foot vertical flight to reach powerline easy. The can get 80 foot or better into tree canopy if they have a couple hundred foot or better horizontal distance to do it in. Other breeds generally less capable, often much less. What breeds are involved?

Hmmm...I have used like a foot and a half fence momentarily. They didn't figure out how to get over it either, though I am sure they would eventually. I have never had any trouble with this
hu.gif
Sorry I could not be of more help.

Hi from Ga. The first week or so some will fly out but usually don't stray to far and will want back in. After the first week they will be happy staying in. At least thats what happens with mine A couple months ago a few of my Sussex hens wanted to skinny dip with Porky. He had a nice lunch I was down one hen. Good Luck.
ya.gif

97415_100_0357.jpg

Porky

Last edited:
Erin~TheChickenLover :

Hmmm...I have used like a foot and a half fence momentarily. They didn't figure out how to get over it either, though I am sure they would eventually. I have never had any trouble with this
hu.gif
Sorry I could not be of more help.

I figured 4 ft might not be enough since the girls have tried to fly the coop a few times and I can usually grab them by a leg or the neck as they start to go.​

Quote:
2 RIR and 1 EE. I also have 4 bantams of various breeds. Glad I asked first
big_smile.png

RIR may be able to to a 10' vertical in a panic. Otherwise 6' fence should contain them.

EE much more variable. 6' may not especially if they can figure out they can do it and rewards are on otherside.

Bantams not as good at flying as games but using fence only to contain likely to not work.

Be preapred to use clipping of wings if fence alone does not work or to cover run which might be more costly.

I have a 4' electric fence and I have had a few launch over it. But usually as soon as they do they want back in with the rest of the flock. I would probably go with a 6'-7' fence to be on the safe side - also depending on the types of chickens.
yippiechickie.gif

Some one once told me that a 4' fence would be fine that the larger breeds couldn't get over it. I've never seen my chickens actually fly over the fence so I figured they were right. Until my neighbor informed me that she was worried that one of my chickens might fall off the fence into her yard where he small dog might hurt it. Say what! Oh yes she has seen them several times "roost" on the fence during in the evening before their bed time. Well that solved the mystery of how they were getting into the garden that is surrounded by a 4' net fence, and I blamed the cat for opening the gate.

As soon as the weather cools off this fall, I'm going to construct a run with a fenced in top and only let them free range the yard a couple of hours before bedtime. Yard is way too big to replace the fence with a taller one.

Back
Top Bottom