How high do they fly

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Jerseycoop, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Hi...I'm new to raising chickens. My question is how high can a chicken fly up? I have a 6 foot privacy fence and my neighbors have 3 aggressive dogs, german shephard, pit and a caboodle. I wouldn't want for one of my girls to fly over and well be torn apart. [​IMG] I've read that you could clip their wings. Is this something I should do? And how would you clip their wings? Thanks for your help

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Don't know about clipping their wings. I live on a farm so I'm never gonna clip their wings. But I have large fowl chickens & they for some reason get on the coops roof every now & again its probably seven ft. high. I have a four ft. fence around my garden but they never go in there. Dummy's.

3. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Wow that high.. Ugh! Hopefully someone can advise me on how to get their wings clipped thanks [​IMG]

4. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I would think they could scale that if they wanted to. If I have done it correctly [​IMG] this is a link that shows you how to clip wings. It will keep them from flying which is good if you want to keep them in the pen. If there is ever a time that they will be free ranging, you may not want to as they would not be able to fly out of dangers way if they needed to. Just depends on your situation. Best wishes!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    My Hamburgs have flown 12 feet up on top of my aluminum patio. Not anymore...snip snip! The Leghorns I used to have easily cleared my 5' chain link fence.

6. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Our bantam roos when motivated by the idea they could steal my sandwich flew up to our second story deck. Our 3 month old pullets regularly fly up about 8 ft into a tree. My older hens couldn't get over a 3 ft fence without a strong tail wind. We had a minor wind storm blow through a few weeks ago and one of my older wide bottomed girls spread her wings at the wrong time and was scooped about 9 feet in the air. The look of utter panic on her face as she flapped faster than she ever had before was hilarious. She landed safely and had quite the story to tell all the other hens when she went in that night.

7. I had one sex link that liked to fly up on the roof of my house that was about 15' off the ground. When I was a kid we had a whole flock of BR and bantams that would roost in the day time. They flew up into a VERY large evergreen tree and get a good 20' to 30' off the ground. But at night they always came back to the hen house to roost.

8. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Smart bird.

9. rainierlass

rainierlass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2010
    Eatonville,WA
    The look of utter panic on her face as she flapped faster than she ever had before was hilarious.

[​IMG]

My Welsummer, Australorp and believe it or not chubby lil GLW all have clipped wings

now - they were easily flying a 4 1/2 ft fence. Works like a charm.......altho........I feel a tad guilty when those 3 pace the fence and whine about it! [​IMG]

10. Jerseycoop

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Thank you..sounds like they could fly up pretty high if they wanted to. Need to learn how to clip their wings or the neighbors dogs will do them harm...time to research [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by