How high do you place your roosts in inches from the floor of your coops? To prevent Bumble feet

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by write2caroline, Aug 18, 2013.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    One thing I noticed was that my layer hens get bumble footed. I was reading that one cause is from jumping down from high roosts.

I have four coops two are a framed with the roosts only inches off of the top floor and they must use the ladder to get down to the run and out into the yard. My other two coops are box shaped. The chickens actually show a preference to these coops. But the roosts were easily 18 and 24 inches from the floor of the coop and they have ladders to get out. I use deep pine shavings for bedding in both of these.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am considering lowering the roosts. The chickens do prefer the higher roosts. Any suggestions as to keeping them higher but making the landing less hard? My roosts are wide, my husband cut two by fours in half. They are wide enough so that when the chickens roost the feathers cover their feet.

Caroline

2. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    My roosts are 30 inches off the floor. The chickens usually fly and jump down. Their coop is 24 inches off the ground. They usually fly and jump down from the entrance to the ground. They have ramps and ladders and rarely use them.

No bumble foot here. Bumble foot has many causes, but is specifically a wound to the foot that becomes infected. Splinters on the roost, ground cover that lacerates the foot, or sharp items where they forage might be culprits.

Before moving the roosts thinking that that is the solution, it may be prudent to look more carefully for the cause.

Chris

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    My roosts are also 30" off the ground, the the hens hop down without issue. Bumblefoot is an infection in wounds on the feet, so you can try and reduce the causes of the wounds, and also keep the flooring clean / dry to reduce the chance of infection. Chickens will want to roost on the highest level possible, so if you do have high roosts, have some intermediate ones available so they can hop up and down instead of making the distance in 1 jump. I had a case of it with a guinea, and it was cause by the other guineas picking at her foot while she was roosting. We cleaned her foot up and wrapped it, and within a couple of weeks she was back to normal.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've never had a case here in over 20 years [​IMG]. My roosts areabout three feet off the ground, and many of my birds then go up to the rafters, eight feet up. I have a ladder roost also, so the babies can start at 12 to 20 inches at first. Pine shavings as bedding, and they free range. Mary

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I've never had a case here in over 20 years [​IMG]. My roosts areabout three feet off the ground, and many of my birds then go up to the rafters, eight feet up. I have a ladder roost also, so the babies can start at 12 to 20 inches at first. Pine shavings as bedding, and they free range. Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by