how high is your fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Leah S, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hello all! So, last year we clipped our girls' wings to keep them in the pen and out of the neighbors' gardens and away from the random dog that comes sniffing onto our property (makes me SO nervous). This year we clipped them after their molt just as before. BUT they are jumping/ fluttering over the 4 foot fence this year! what changed? I don't think we changed anything from last year. I put up 6 inch high piece of mesh, hoping that would deter them, but nope.
    So, how high is your fence? I can add to the top, but only want to do it once and not have keep tinkering with it.

2. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmmm? What kind of fence. Ours have never offered to go over the 4' high fence or even the 3' high one the separates one end of the run from the other.

3. Leah S

Leah S Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    we have a chicken wire fence that's 4 foot. I added 6 inches of hard cloth stuff to the gate and around the gate. they are still getting out.

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

6ft wooden fence - they can't see the other side so they've never attempted to go over it.

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry! Don't have an answer for you. [​IMG]

6. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    We're they adults last year? I'm thinking maybe as young chickens, they weren't interested in going over the fence. Maybe now, grown up a little more, they're more adventurous.

Our fence is 6ft and I have my doubts about them going over that. I know for a fact that they can jump 3-3.5ft straight up so hopefully when they are moved to their larger run, they won't get a running leap at the 6ft fence. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by