How high of a brooder roof?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kukupecpec, Dec 5, 2012.

1. kukupecpec

kukupecpec Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    Hey there! So I got my hands on an old dresser and I am going to try to turn it into a brooder! I am raising serama, so they are pretty small, and I Was wondering just how high of a roof they would need? I would LIKE to put a shelf right through the middle so I can make it kind of a double decker with new borns on the top and older birds who are still too young to go out into the run on the bottom.

I also am starting to raise jersey giants, so I would probably use the two levels to separate breeds at first so the little seramas don't get crushed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    Since they're only gonna be in there up to 4-6 weeks, you could get away with 18 or so inches in height providing there is a type of "roof" where they can't fly out. (Seramas are excellent flyers.) I have brooders of all varying heights and sizes. I even have one similar to yours where I used the existing shelf inside my garden shed (see below). I now use that as a hospital cage whenever I need it since I'm not hatching any chicks right now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    What is your heating method? The problem I ran into with the brooder I borrowed was that it had a lid at 24" height. That's where the heat lamp needed to be. If I put the lamp inside, it was too low. Outside, it was too high. So, I'd choose the height with that in mind. I'd also make it tall enough that a full-grown Serama can stand in it in case you need it for a temporary cage later.

4. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    I plan to put the light on the roof shining through a screened hole in the roof.

5. kukupecpec

Aug 24, 2012
    Tucson AZ
    So here's what I got! It's been a long while, but I've had a million projects. It's still not completely finished. I need to add the other door on the bottom compartment, and I can't decide where/how I want to permanently mount the heat lamp, suggestions would be awesome!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. TJsTwinzz

TJsTwinzz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2013
    Ours is about 2-3 feet high, and it holds our 4-week-old chicks pretty well. Just make sure that they have a roost. Also, they will learn to perch on their water containers, so you might want to put something on top of it to deter them (they will certainly make the water dirty).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by