1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high of fence can a Fox jump?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by beak, Jul 17, 2009.

1. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    I am doing some re-fencing and was wondering what is the highest fence any body knows a Fox jumped over?

2. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    They can climb!!!!They hook their paws over the wires and climb fences like ladders!!!

3. Rootball

Rootball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Western Colorado
    apparently they wont climb much higher than a 2 meter fence.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    they will climb every how high the fence is to get over. Check the link.

5. Rootball

Rootball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Western Colorado
    From Wikipedia

Red Foxes are generally considered to be the most serious predator of free range poultry. The safest option known in poultry protection is to keep the flock and the fox physically separated, usually with fencing. A fence needs to be at least 2 m high to keep out most foxes, though on some rare occasions, a determined fox might succeed in climbing over.[40] Surplus killing will often occur in enclosed spaces such as huts, with discarded feathers and headless bodies usually being the main indicators of fox predation.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    aa friend of mine watched as a fox repeatedly jumped until it finally succeded to get onto her garage roof and then ran over the roof and dropped into the chicken yard on the other side.. the roof at that point was over 6 feet high..

7. kfruzen

kfruzen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    We just saw a red fox in our yard! What can we do? We are wondering if anyone has suggestions as to how to keep it out. Right now we have a 5 foot high fence, the only one of the flock to run away from the fox was the Rooster! LOL! Our girls ran right up to the fence to get a closer look. This only happened this once that we know of, and now we know it is out there so now we will be overly cautious. And we saw it at 4:30 in the evening. I thought they only came out at nighttime. Please if you have any suggestions post them! Thanks![​IMG]

8. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Quote:That's been my experience too. Scaled a 5 foot chain link fence like it was nothin'.

9. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    they will dig too

10. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:trap, dispatch , repeat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by