1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How high should a tractor run be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SouthernAlberta, Apr 4, 2012.

1. SouthernAlberta

SouthernAlberta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Do hens need to fly, perch or climb in a tractor run?

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    They should be fine mine are in a permanent 3 ft high run till i raise it up. Not that they care i just can't catch them if i need to. They do just fine in a short run and it saved on wire cost until i tried to catch a chicken crawling around I'm sure the neighbor had plenty of laughs watching.

3. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
  4. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Thanks to both of you!

5. crumptz

crumptz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Mountain View, CA
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! I am about to build my run and just cant see making so tall! It's good to see that you made a useful run that isn't too high!

6. SouthernAlberta

Mar 30, 2012
    Canada - Garden Zone 3
    Exactly! More height also means more weight which makes a run more difficult to move. I'd prefer to put materials into a longer run than a higher one.

7. Jaxon4141

Jaxon4141 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2012
    Nebraska
    The other thing about having a run in sections is you can very the length. Sometime when I have a section of the garden I need to put the chicken into it's not always a full bed. So I can make the runs any length I need (in 5' increments). If you need to get into the run in the middle you just unclip a section and lift it up. Each section weights about 45 lbs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by