How high should roost be

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Aug 1, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    The chicks are going outside next weekend (finally). They will be 8 weeks old at that time. The chicken house is ready for them (except for nesting boxes).

How high should the roosts be in the chick house at 8 weeks old. Same as adult or a bit lower?

Later we will be putting in 4 nest boxes (with in a couple weeks after chicks go out) and I know those are to be lower than the roosts. And slanted tops so the birds don't set on top of the nest boxes. I have seen people have open nest boxes, and that is what we had when I was a kid. Are those still ok, or do they have to be closed in with a top? By open nest box, I am talking: sides, of course bottom, a small board across the front so the nest material nor eggs get drug out, just no roof on the boxes.

I have 10 pullets and one roo.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    we build our roosts using the deck lumber at home depo they have pieces that are notched to hold the uprights on the railings ( PROVIDES EXTRA SUPPORT FOR THE FATTIES). we use those and skip two in between each . that way they have a variety of choices. It costs about $12 my silkies sleep in a pile on the ground, the LF cochin on the bottom rung, the layers in the middle and the game hen as high as she can get. for nesting A 12X12 box is good but mine still fight over who gets to use the 5 gallon bucket on its side. one will only lay in a bucket calf feeder on the wall.

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Your birds are too young to roost - they will naturally start sleeping on the roost as they get older - but for now they will sleep in a pile on the floor no matter the roost hight.

If it were me I'd set up the coop for adult birds & not worry too much about them at this ages as they probably wont use it.

That said - most people set 2 heights for the perch - the first at 18 inches to 2 ft off the ground the second at 3ft high. Adult birds will go as high as they can. They will hop onto the lower one & then jump to the higher one.

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by