HOW HIGH SHOULD THE ROOST BE ABOVE THE POOP BOARD?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fawn and Fam, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    We are building our final coop and are wondering how high in inches should the roost be above the poop board?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine is about 30" off the ground. I have hatchery large fowl like EE's, and some homegrown mutts. Even 30" can be a little high for them to jump down from if they have to room to the side to sort of gly down, help break the fall with flapping wings. It doesn't matter what the distance between the poop board and chickens is.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I have seen a couple poop boards there were too far below the roost resulting in 'misses' with the poop landing on the wall behind instead of on the board.

My poop board is about 30" off the floor, with a ramp cause that's pretty high in a 6' wide coop.

The roost is 8" above and centered on the 24" wide poop board.

[​IMG]

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Mu poop board is 8' x 36" and about 30" off the ground. I have two roosts. The first is about 15" above the poop board and the other is about 30" above the poop board. The two are set about 12" apart, with the back one 12" from the wall and the front one 12" from the front of the poop board.

Here's an old pic from the first day I put my girls in the coop, but you can get the idea.
    [​IMG]

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    MoonShadows....How far is that upper roost from the wall....any 'misses'?

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Hey aart,

That top one is about 12" out from the wall studs and 15.5" from the wall boards. No problems, yet....

Jim

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    @ Fawn & fam My roost are 3½ inches from my poop board excellent for catching eggs laid in the night. My roost are in cups and can be removed for easier cleaning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by