How High Should the Roost be?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OrpingtonDave, Jan 25, 2010.

1. OrpingtonDave

OrpingtonDave New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Catharpin Virginia
    I bought a new Chicken House and the roost is about 14-15 inches from the ground. None of my chickens would jump up on it so I put a few up there hoping the rest would get the idea. I have clipped their wings and wonder if this is the right height or do I need to lower it. Any thoughts?

2. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    How close are the walls to the roost? I had mine about 20 inches but one of the walls was too close and they had big-time problems dismounting. So, lowered it to about 9 inches off the floor, they immediately took to it and had no problems.

3. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    How old are they?

4. OrpingtonDave

OrpingtonDave New Egg

Jan 11, 2010
    Catharpin Virginia
    They are about 9 monthes old

5. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Put the roost higher then the nest.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My roosts are higher than my nests, but...
    With the heavy breeds, like my LF brahma, you don't want to go too high. Leg injuries can occur from jumping down from too high a spot.

7. lovinlife

lovinlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Interesting. I have a roost out in the open that my hens use in the summer that is about 3 ft above the ground. The roost they use in the winter is under a covered area and is about 4 1/2 feet above the ground. They usually jump up onto the nesting boxes (top is about 2 1/2 ft above the ground) and then onto the roost.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by