How high should the roost be?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by confusedturtle, Jun 6, 2011.

1. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I have 2 red sex links and 2 buff orp mixes, is there a certain height I should make the roost? I know it needs to be above the nest box top (just learned that) so I am adjusting it today. Also how high should I make the nest box top? My nest boxes are going to be removable for easy cleaning & the top will probably also be removableable (almost shelf like above nest boxes) for easy cleaning but I am making the final adjustments today so I can finish painting and move the girls in in the next day or so. Any suggestions are appreciated [​IMG]

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I went with a 36" roost height -- higher than the nest boxes (20") and well below the year-round ventilation so they won't be subjected to winter drafts. I'm not putting a top on the nest boxes unless they refuse to use them without one. It's just another (higher) place for them to roost and poop unless you put it at an angle.

3. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I told hubby last night about putting the nest box top at an angle, he wasn't happy about the change to the plans in his head but he said he can do it if we do it now. Better to find out now rather than when we finish & move them in. I didn't realize we could put the roost so high up, very good to know [​IMG] Thank you! [​IMG]

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

debid nailed it. Not so high the birds may hurt themself jumping down but taller than the boxes so they roost rather than sit on the tops. How about just setting a plastic tray or smooth cookie sheet on the top of the boxes to catch the poo? Just keep them narrow enough so they don't flip off but not attached so you can easily remove them for cleaning. Same idea with the other poo boards?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  5. confusedturtle

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    We are actually making it so that everything inside can be easily removed for cleaning, the easier it is the more likely it will stay very clean. We will have a removable poo board under the roost built like a short sided drawer, filled with hay to catch the poo and make it easy to put in the composter. The nest boxes are also like a short sided drawer but have dividers inside of it to make 4 nest boxes, the roof for the nest boxes will just be a piece of wood but also removable and at a slight angle so they wont roost on it. The floor that these things will rest on is almost pallet like, with some slight gaps so that when I spray it out to clean it whatever may be in there will fall thru the gaps onto the grass. The stuff inside will completely cover the floor, unless removed for cleaning etc. It is a small boxy chicken tractor, that I will be able to move every couple of days so they will always have something new to eat [​IMG]

6. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    When saying that the roost be higher than the nest box ,are you referring to the very top of the nest box or the perch that is used to get into the nest box? If the nest box is slanted does this keep the chickens from roosting on top?

7. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Yes , it will keep them from roosting on it , my roost is about 5 ft. Off ground and they love it up there . But it would be easyer on my larger birds if it was lower . 3-4 ft. Is good enough . The more private the boxes are the better they will use them , also a curtin in front helps them feel safer , just my point of view. But then I hate picking eggs up off the coop floor !!!. Especially when I have made such wonderful clean boxes for them to lay in !:lol good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by