1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how high to put a chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ipie68, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ipie68

ipie68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    my backyard floods alot during the spring and fall and this is the only place to put the coop, ive ran into a brick wall with this untill I get the wood to build it [​IMG], so id like to know how high to place it, ive been looking every where for this [​IMG]

2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    If I were building in a flood prone area, I would raise the coop about 2ft. over the highest water level seen. Also, depending on HOW the water runs through the area when flooded, You might have to give serious thought to anchoring the coop so it does not become a houseboat when the water rises.
    Jack

3. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    thank you the water where i am planning to put it only gets about 1ft at most, lol, maybe i should put a raft under it, (just kidding)[​IMG]

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:why not collect gallon milk jugs or a few empty plastic drums mounted under, just in case. Maybe you will make it on TV with with your chickens sailing down main street in their coop....

5. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Ideally you want to put it in a spot that doesn't flood (especially the hen house), but at the very least I'd put some roosts in there so they could seek higher ground.

Maybe I'm under thinking this.

6. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    Quote:why not collect gallon milk jugs or a few empty plastic drums mounted under, just in case. Maybe you will make it on TV with with your chickens sailing down main street in their coop....

lol that would be funny

7. ipie68

Oct 29, 2011
    Penfield, PA
    but it rarely gets more than a couple inches :yuckyuck :clap

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  8. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Almost 2ft, this gives plenty of room for them for cover to get out of the weather elements.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by