How high will chickens climb?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Peloplatino, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Peloplatino

Peloplatino Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Statesboro, GA
    I built a VERY sturdy play "fort" for my children about 20 years ago. Four upright 6" x 6" x 16' treated posts set 4' deep in concrete. Footprint of the "fort" is 8' x 8'. Floor of "fort" is 5' off the ground. There was a sand box underneath. I'm thinking of turning it into a chicken coop/run combo. I would enclose the sand box area with hardware cloth and install a door. I would build a ramp from the sand box area to the floor of the "fort" so the chickens could walk up to their coop. There is already a slot in the floor, next to the wall, 8'L x 22"W for the ramp.

Would chickens climb a 6'L x 22"W ramp to the coop? Would that be too steep?

If necessary, I could even build a landing 2.5' high in a corner with the first ramp to it, then the second ramp could extend to the top floor. That way each ramp would only rise 2.5' in 6'L. Would chickens climb 2 ramps 6' long and 22" wide?

2. polkadotchick

polkadotchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    Southeast Texas
    I'm pretty sure they would climb it. They love to roost in high places. Just make sure you're not making it difficult for yourself to clean and maintain etc. The landings sound like a cool idea too!

3. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

would love to see pics. good idea[​IMG][​IMG]

4. Peloplatino

Peloplatino Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2013
    Statesboro, GA
    Thanks for the responses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by