how high will humidity get during hatch

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jimmythechicken, Sep 18, 2010.

1. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    our humidity is getting pretty high now that all the bob whites are hatching it is up to 92% should i open it a little to lower it down or is that fine an will dry them faster

2. sgtmck1

sgtmck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Sterling, Ok.
    I did

3. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I personally don't think you can get it too high during the hatch-out. I've had ~92% humidity, and left it alone.......no problems. I think it's just a benefit during this critical time.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  4. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I get nervous when it gets past 85. But Randall has a whole lot more experience than I do with Bob's.

My hatches so far have been over 100 eggs. So I use the excuse of clearing out a few egg shells and that lowers the humidity a bit.

But when it comes time to lift the lid, don;ttake it off. Just lift one side enough to get your hand in there and look through the window to see what you are after.
    Even if all the bittys are hatched and your are taking all of them out. Then its not about humidity, its about them getting chilled.

I wouldn't let it go over 95. I'd take some shells out. Oh, it takes a minute for the humidity to drop after you have opened it. So don't think all is well because it hasn't dropped. I have the same bator.

Saw the babies, so cute. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Got to go deal with Poo trays, I'll check in later. Yes, girls that comes next.

5. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    it got up to 95% open side for about 15 seconds an got it down to 83-85 they are all almost hatched we never thought this many would hatch.we figured maybe 20 would hatch guess we were wrong little blue ran the bator was in her room checked temp 4-5 times a day anchanged temp an humidity acordinly.guess she did a good job about 1 hour ago she looked at me an saidman dad i did good.10 years old an she is a bird aholic

6. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    She did do good. Real Good. We do like to get them hooked on chickens and other birds at a young age. More time to really get them in the blood, so to speak.

Well that's it. You are in for it now. [​IMG] Might as well start building cages. Cause from now on all your spare time and money will be devoted to cage building. [​IMG]

Little Blue the Colors of the Coturnix are real nice and they say the Buttons are real cute and there are even more colors. Course they have to stay inside.

Now Dad there are a lot of different BobWhites out there and some are absolutely gorgeous. But need more room. Then if you have the room here is a challenge for you. Pheasant. Oh how pretty. I wish I had room for Pheasant. I would have liked a few Peacock Pheasants. Oh, my how pretty.

You see, now they have a bator, the girls are going to want to hatch like crazy next year. Unless you want some cute little Button Coturnix, then they can hatch more this year. There's lots of people here that have them. I'm sure they would be happy to sell you some.

Better start gathering supplies for lots of cages.

7. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    she is more into her peacocks an orpington chickens she has black,blue,buff,lavender,an white orps an 4 peacocks 2 silver pieds a white an ib.she wanted to hatch the quail for a freind for her bobwhite pet in her coop an she is going to sell the rest she is against eating her birds so will prob stay away from game birds.lol she just loves to hang out in her coop an watch the birds she loves to listen to her bob white call.

8. jimmythechicken

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    she is more into her peacocks an orpington chickens she has black,blue,buff,lavender,an white orps an 4 peacocks 2 silver pieds a white an ib.she wanted to hatch the quail for a freind for her bobwhite pet in her coop an she is going to sell the rest she is against eating her birds so will prob stay away from game birds.lol she just loves to hang out in her coop an watch the birds she loves to listen to her bob white call.

9. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Well, then the little colorful Buttons should be right up her alley. [​IMG] But then they are colorful in a different way than her Peacocks.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have a 5 yr old GD that loves my Birds, that is, any bird that is White, her Vanilla's. I haven't told her yet that her 2 Vanillas are gone. My Largest Jumbo Cortunix picked them bad and I had to cull.

I can't find the Coturnix I was looking for, probably not until spring, if then. So I have ordered more Coturnix eggs and if I get whites I will separate them, her new Vanilla's. I am hoping they don't come for a visit until those babies hatch.

More pictures, here or other thread?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by