1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How highshould my nesting box be

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BigBen, Apr 11, 2009.

1. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    I am about to frame the wall were my nesting box is going to be located. I want to be able to retrieve my eggs from the other side of the wall.
    Is there a general consensus as to how high it should be?

2. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    It can be any height, as long as the chickens can get into it. There are many that have them(nest boxes) just sitting on the ground. I think the only rule of thumb is to have them lower than your roosts since chickens tend to want to roost high, that way they will not want to use the nest boxes instead of the roosts.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    18" to 24" up with perches on the outside... and they like them "dark" and enclosed..

4. BigBen

BigBen Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Smithfield,RI
    It looks like my nesting boxes are going to be about 8 inches off the floor. I want to be able to retrieve my eggs from the outside and because of the layout that's the way it's going to have to be.
    I bought a triple nesting box on craigslist, each box has curtains!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:You might just put them at floor level then -- it's not like the chickens will be able to *use* the 8" under the boxes, and it'll just make a space that's hard to clean [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by