how horrible would it be...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urbanolive, Jan 27, 2010.

1. urbanolive

urbanolive Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    I have a friend who keeps huge snakes and such and she has asked for unwanted roo chicks to feed them. I dunno...can't figure this one out.

2. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    I dunno, I wouldn't be able to stomach that. Unless we were raising 100's of chicks at a time. Otherwise, I get too attached to the chicks I've recently found.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Everything's gotta eat. [​IMG]

At least the roo chicks would not be given away to possible mistreatment and abuse...I raise mine to eat, is there a difference? Sell them to her for $.50 and embrace the circle of life?

4. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    If you have the extra roos and it doesn't bother you then why not. If she will buy them from you then that is a plus. Everything has to eat so I wouldn't feel to bad about it. The circle of life.

We had an eight foot python a long time ago and we had to feed her a rabbit a week. I think that is more terrible to think about then a baby chick. Just my opinion.

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I know I already put my $.02 in...but I would be releived if I had a deal like this. I am doing a breeding project with a few friends, and every time I do a mass hatch, there is a scramble to re-home the good roos, grow out the big "rejects" for processing, and then find homes for the banty-sized throwback "rejects". Last batch I sold the 4 "leftovers" to Pratts...but I feel terrible about it. The DH took them down, and got a bad feeling about the place---I STILL worry they might have gone somewhere they are mistreated.

6. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    My friend wants the mice we keep catching in our traps or my cat kills but doesnt eat! She wants me to freeze them for her snake! #1. I dont like mice. #2. I dont like snakes either! This would be a job for dh!

7. urbanolive

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Quote:Maybe then it would be an option to place an ad for snake owners to take chicks...

8. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    too many crazies out there. I would prefer a friend who needed a favor.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Just my .02c. I have kept corn snakes for about 7 years. At one time I bred mice/rats for them but gave that up after several years for multiple reasons, and had to return to buying food. Each snake eats one rat per meal, and each rat costs me close to $4. So, when I ordered the MPC pullet special and three arrived with bung feet (one had a foot that was completely curled backwards, making it unable to walk. It kinda hopped, dragging the crippled foot behind it, and 2 had toes that were bent backward), I watched them for a couple of days but they clearly weren't thriving. They couldn't get enough food due to being unable to compete with the healthier chicks and were getting noticeably weaker. So I weighed their needs (for us to hand feed them) against the needs of my snakes to eat (and unfortunately, attempts to convince snakes to eat vegetarian food are rarely successful), and "culled" the three crippled chicks by providing meals for three of my snakes. The decision was NOT made lightly but I do believe it was a practical decision. The snake had to eat, the chick was dying anyway, and what point is there in "wasting" the life of the chick by throwing it in the trash can or burying it, and then going out and killing a rat to feed to the snake?

For the OP, if your roo chicks are destined to die anyway, why not provide them as meals to an animal that needs to eat. By doing so, you are saving another critter's life.

10. urbanolive

Aug 30, 2009
    asheville,nc
    Quote:thanks for the story , I was hoping someone who had actually done it would weigh in. So when the snake gobbled them up did it all go quickly or did the peeps go thru a terror filled death ? I have perpetual ,repeat nitemares and this seems like good material....

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by