1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How hot does it have to be to kill the Embryos?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BoiseBubba, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Anybody know how hot an icubator has to get to fry the embryos? Mine just jumped to 110.9 and I hope the eggs aren't dead!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say that they are cooked. I know when my bator jumped to 105 I lost my eggs.

3. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on how hot the eggs got on the inside. How long was your bator that hot?

4. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Quote:At least half an hour but more likely an hour. It jumped and stayed at 110.9 and the humidity went down, their dead. And you wanna know the worst part? They were all Serama eggs!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:At least half an hour but more likely an hour. It jumped and stayed at 110.9 and the humidity went down, their dead. And you wanna know the worst part? They were all Serama eggs!!!!![​IMG]:he:he:he:he:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Are you sure your thermometer didn't wig out on you? I've had mine read 124 degrees and still got chicks at the end of it all. Don't give up 'til you see no more development or something starts smelling rotten.

6. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    I just put them in today and turns out the thermometer wigged out but the eggs got slightly cold and the bator is just heating up again. Do you think it killed 'em? the temp went down to 95.9 in the incubator. And they were out of the incubator for 5 minutes and cooled down to 70 degrees

7. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i would put them back in there and wait a week or so. if you just put them in today.... shouldn't have killed them yet. you would be surprised. i unplugged my bator by accident for 24 and they were fine. [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I accidentally turned off my bator for 24 hours and the eggs were still viable after they warmed up. Not as many made it to the hatch stage as I'd have liked, but the point is some did make it. So I wouldn't make any decisions just yet...

9. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Thanks so much everybody![​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by