How hot is to hottt!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tomcat1, Feb 15, 2012.

1. tomcat1

tomcat1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    So my incubater all of a sudden hit an all time high of 106' for about 5 hours how will this effect my hatch?

2. fogleghorn

fogleghorn New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    I had the samething happen to me on the 19th day it turns out my meter is about 6 degrees off. I'm on day 20 with temp at 99 and humid at about 65% and waiting to see what happends. We shall see.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It's hard to say how it will affect the hatch, if at all. What you are measuring is air temperature. That changes a lot faster than the interior temperature of the eggs. I don't know how much that interior temperature actually went up. Probably not as much as you think, even in five hours.

How long they have been in there affects it too. In the very early stages of incubation high temperatures can affect how the body parts form. "Can" means it might possibly affect them, not that it absolutely will. Later in incubation, high temperature has less of an effect. If the body parts form wrong, the chicks normally don't hatch so you are not likely to hatch out freaks. The eggs will just quit developing.

That spike in temperature is obviously not a good thing, but I would not give up hope yet. You'd be surprised how tough those eggs can be. You might want to candle in a few days to see that they are still developing. But don't panic or do anything rash.

4. fogleghorn

fogleghorn New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Well I just looked and 2 out of 6 have cracked the shell so far.

5. tomcat1

tomcat1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    thanks for the info i dont think i hurt them any and i have a good friend that says the temperature will raise right before the chicks hatch anyway

6. fogleghorn

fogleghorn New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    Well all 6 hatched 1 died right after it got out of shell. It's on to the next hatch due to go in hatcher tomorrow night.

7. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Sorry to hear that, I had a temp spike so I hope I don't have any problems. Hopefully the next set will turn out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by