how hot is too hot for broody on eggs?

fun monitor

Songster
11 Years
Mar 30, 2008
southern california
It's already 100 degrees in the "southland" and it should be the same for the rest of the week. My broody is in the coop in a crate, well-ventilated. We have misters in the coop and while she's not in the direct line of the misters, she gets a cool breeze now and again. She's standing every so often, which I know they do to maintain temps if it's too hot. The eggs are on day 14, should hatch after next Monday. Do I bring the her and the crate inside (garage, slightly cooler or air conditioned bathroom) or just let her manage the temps out there?

Obviously I don't want to lose these eggs, or my hen!

Leave her be. Make sure she has cool water and food very close by. Once she hatches out those chicks then you can move her if you feel the need to. If you move her she could break her brood and not sit on the eggs any longer.

When I first saw her standing up, I was afraid she was doing exactly that - breaking her brood. Then I calmed myself and rationalized that she's just keeping the eggs at the right temp. She's really a good broody - I hope she doesn't "mess" (replace that with any four-letter word of your choice) it up at the end when they hatch.

What about the temps when they hatch? Will the chicks get too overheated under mom during hatching? And this is more of a curious question - how does the humidity work when you use a broody? Do I need to put a dish of water in with her?
wink.png
(joke - she already has water in there)

Broody hens are incredibly good at what they do. I've had times when it was so hot I thought the eggs would be cooked for sure, but nope -- my broody hatched them just fine -- if a few days early.

Back
Top Bottom