How hot is too hot for chicks and when can I introduce new chicks?

Ldeal

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2011
Fallon, NV
My Coop
My Coop
I will be getting these two BLRW chicks this week. I currently have 4 12 week old pullets. It's been in the high 90's here and I'm doing everything to keep the girls cool. My questions are...
How hot is too hot for my new chicks to be outside?
And
Can my new chicks go in with my pullets now or do I need to wait and if so how long?
20180617_094926.jpg
20180617_084708.jpg
20180617_084716.jpg

I don't think it will work out to good to put them in with the big birds if you are good at building you can build a 6 x 6 pin for around $30 to $50 and cover the top to make shade it looks like 19 birds in a tub and that will make them hot to many in one place:cool:

Hope it’s ok because I have 14 day old chicks in my coop and it’s 98 outside this week! They ought to be fine. I’ve made sure they have ample water supply and coop is quite well ventilated and in the shade all but an hour of the day. Animals are pretty capable of withstanding the weather. Remember your chicks need warm spots of 90-95 their first week anyway so I can’t imagine they’d have trouble with weather in that same condition.

Many folks here talk about giving their chickens ice but I really feel that’s for the chicken owner and not the chicken, as they are a domesticated livestock for whom ice is a luxury.

I don't mean toss them with the rest of the flock though, but don't keep them in a stock tank. you'll cook them.

In a pinch you can use an old baby play pen, or a few cheapo upside down laundry baskets.

I don't think it will work out to good to put them in with the big birds if you are good at building you can build a 6 x 6 pin for around $30 to $50 and cover the top to make shade it looks like 19 birds in a tub and that will make them hot to many in one place:cool:
I do have my pullets old smaller pen I can put together for them. Those are pictures from the breeder. She had them rounded up for pictures.

here is what I am talking about it seems to work very good and it is lite and you can move ease. I added the plywood to help with shade it was not part of the building plan. it calls for hardware wire all the way around.
holding pin 4.jpg holding pin3.jpg holding7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom