How hot is too hot?

Izzyisdizzy11

Songster
Jan 25, 2021
I live in a warm, dry climate, with two ISA Browns. During most summer days, both chickens are panting and have their wings out. I understand that this is their way of keeping cool, but at what point should I be concerned? I have attached a picture of them both on a hot day.
PXL_20211225_035503312.MP.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

Do they have access to shady ground where they can dig themselves a nice, little foxhole?

That seems to help my flock cope with the 95-95 summers we get (95F, 95% humidity).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/even-the-babies-are-dug-in.1484952/

0729211220_hdr-jpg.2777660
Thanks for the tips :). Yes, they often like to dig themselves some holes, and love to dust bath, and I've found a new spot for the coop that offers more shade than before. 95% humidity is crazy!! If you don't mind me asking, what country do you live in?

As far as actual temperatures, my flock starts panting at around 85F. At around 97F, birds in poor health may experience enough heat stress to kill them.

We had a massive heat spike this past summer where it got to about 113F. At that point I was leaving the human door in the coop open all day so that hot air wouldn't build up inside, putting cool water with electrolytes out, extra pans of cooled water that they could stand in, and wetting the run floor to try and keep the flock cool. We thankfully have good shade in the afternoon so the run stayed cooler than most of the rest of the yard.

As far as actual temperatures, my flock starts panting at around 85F. At around 97F, birds in poor health may experience enough heat stress to kill them.

We had a massive heat spike this past summer where it got to about 113F. At that point I was leaving the human door in the coop open all day so that hot air wouldn't build up inside, putting cool water with electrolytes out, extra pans of cooled water that they could stand in, and wetting the run floor to try and keep the flock cool. We thankfully have good shade in the afternoon so the run stayed cooler than most of the rest of the yard.
Thanks!

Thanks for the tips :). Yes, they often like to dig themselves some holes, and love to dust bath, and I've found a new spot for the coop that offers more shade than before. 95% humidity is crazy!! If you don't mind me asking, what country do you live in?
My temps/humidity are about the same 3killerB'S
I'm in Texas 😉
A whole "other" country 🤔

Back
Top Bottom