How hot is too hot

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    for chickens? The forecast here for today is 86, and it is also pretty humid too. My poor chicks are out there panting their little heads off. They're in a tractor with fabric on top, so they are shaded, but I've never thought to ask how they cope with heat and humidity, or if I need to do anything else for them.

TIA!

2. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    IMO, 86 degrees is not hot. I am assuming you have screens so they are getting fresh air. How old are they? I am not sure what your set up is or how old they are. They still don't have a heat lamp do they? I am turning off my heat lamp during the day and only keeping it on at night. I would just make sure they have lots of clean fresh water.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I'm not worried about today but our summers can get really HOT. Last summer was horrible with days in the upper 90s/low 100s. Don't even get me started on the humidity... yuck.

Here is their tractor [​IMG] It is 3x10x3 and is currently housing 2 standards that are about 9 weeks old, and 3 bantams that are about 7-8 weeks old. We're going to build a second tractor for the bantams when they get a little older, so they'll all have more room.

What do you think? I sure don't want to kill any chickens due to overheating!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by