How hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jfarm, Jun 30, 2008.

1. jfarm

jfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Anyone raising meat birds now in the Pacific Northwest? I would like to start about 24 chicks on pasture, but am worried about the summer heat. We rarely get over 75, but we do get the occasional heat wave.

Thanks

2. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    I live in Texas where the heat can be unbareable!!! What we do to keep our meat chickens comfortable is supply them with a huge shop fan 24/7. It's been up to 100* here already and they seem to handle it just fine. I replenish their water several times a day to make sure it stays cool. I also give them frozen fruit as treats.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Well, I am out past Hood River, Oregon and we have been having triple digits the past few days. I lost 3 meat birds in a matter of hours. BUT if you are in a cool area, then they might do okay.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's been over 110 for a couple of weeks now.

All of my girls are doing fine.

Give them fresh water twice a day, I spray down their coop at night to cool it with evaporation.... so far so good... c'mon September.

5. HillCountryMomma

HillCountryMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    What kind of meat birds are y'all raising in the heat?

Do they seem to slow down on thier eating when it's hot?

Dangerouschicken, I read about yours dying so quick. Sounds like you shocked them. Most animals wouldn't do well going from a cool basement to high temps. Might wanna try a more gradual transition to outdoors and they'd probably do better.

Liz

6. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    I'm in the Texas gulf coast-we stay mid-upper 90s for 4 months straight.

75 degree days in January aren't uncommon. You'll be fine.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Yeah, I suppose it might have been shock. I don't really care anymore. I hate CC and I will never do them again. They are monsters engineered to self destruct. No thank you.

Mahonri, you have female meat birds?

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    The heat is horrible on poor little fluffy butts. I bought a solar fan off ebay today. Going to try it out then if it works good, get more.

You can freeze bottles of water and put them out with the chickens, a fan is good, I mist mine with the hose when it's really hot. Mine love playing in puddles of water so that's a good one too. I've put a trap over the run to try to keep the sun out a little plus all my coops are heavily insulated so they stay inside a lot in the heat.

9. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    HillCountryMama I'm raising the plain ole' cornish crosses.

A solar fan?? I want one of those. Please let me know how it does. With electrical costs doubling this summer (like everything else) that would be awesome!!

10. Judymae

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Lonecowboy which solar fan did you buy? I just looked at them and can't figure out which one would work. I was thinking the one with a detachable solar panel? Or several of the small ones you put in like a skylight?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by