how hot should eggs feel during incubation. and how much weight should egg lose per week. ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenreyna, Nov 21, 2017.

1. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Warm. .. Slightly hot? or like room temperature. Or does it vary? The other day, .i turned them and they felt l too warm. Closer to hot side. Im going on day 9 tomorrow and everything was normal but One time the eggs felt way warmer than ever before.

Question number 2:
    My eggs are colored and too risky to candle, so im checking progress by weighing them all of them were two grams lighter after 7days in my bator. Does that sound goos two grams per week? 11-13% Weight should be lost from day 1-18. I know i suck at math.

Here's photo of bator i bought its not greatest but i grew tired of playing temp & humidity game with homemade incubator after 4 attempted rounds. Lol

Attached Files:

2. Egyptians use to, and may still incubate in large brick owens. It is said that the flock keeper would hold the eggs up to their eyelids to gauge the temperature. But I can't tell you what to 'look' or feel for. An infant rectal thermometer is a good way to keep track of temps in the absence of a better scientific instrument. The old ones that used mercury are more accurate but are unfortunately no longer made.

chickenreyna likes this.
  3. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    Interesting . so i may still have some survivors then i am hoping. Thank you

4. BantyChooks

BantyChooks Pullarius

Aug 1, 2015
    My Coop
    I have always found my eggs to be fairly warm to the touch, above body temp but not really hot. The fact that how they felt changed is odd, though. Have you calibrated your thermometer? I hope you aren't relying on a built in one.

chickenreyna likes this.
  5. chickenreyna

chickenreyna Songster

Oct 10, 2017
    Oklahoma
    I need to get one since hydrometer i have is too big to fit. Ok well it was only once they felt more than warm i think it was because i was running low on water in tray. (Wont do that again) (directions state every two days but it should def be added to tray daily)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: