1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How I came to get backyard chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by scottrules02, Aug 21, 2014.

1. scottrules02

scottrules02 Just Hatched

It's a funny story actually I was at my stepdads friends farm a few days ago with my family and we were standing next to the rabbits they own and my sister and I were begging for the cutest bunny ever!!! Than I heard clucking in the pen beside them so I walked over there and there were a bunch of chickens and I just fell in love with the idea of raising chickens in my backyard and so I asked my mom and they said yes I got home and bought a really nice $500 coop off Craigslist for $99 still in the box and so we picked it up the next day and I put it together in my dogs pen which he doesn't use and tomorrow I'm getting the hens which I'm so excited about

1 person likes this.
  2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Congrats and welcome! I stated with 6 hens. Now have 80+ chickens in all. They are addictive![​IMG] Glad you came to BYC. Very knowledgeable and nice people here. What kind of chickens are you getting?

3. scottrules02

4. scottrules02

I don't know yet our friends haven't told us what kinds they have but I'm hoping for an australorp and a Rhode Island barred rock

5. bantammenace

bantammenace New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    HELP me plz someone! My eggs r incubating and I need to know if the veins are supposed to move around or stay in one spot I turn my eggs 2 times a day I have a LG and I just put a fan in and the eggs took off when I did I'm on day 8

6. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Go to our "incubating & hatching section". They will be able to better assist you. Some veins will move, some will not. When you post on the other section, be sure to include what type of incubator you have (forced air, or still air) and what day of incubation they are on now. Hope that helps.

7. bantammenace

bantammenace New Egg

Aug 21, 2014
    I did but not many r up and I need to know soon I work nights I guess I'm just more disappointed I put a fan in 2 days ago I'm on day 8 I think the change from still to forced made them stick idk though tux anyways

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congrats to you! You're going to love chickening! Have fun! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by