How I introduce a new rooster...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Pnoah1, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Pnoah1

Pnoah1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2013
    ... to a flock with existing roosters? You see we have a flock of 25 chickens and four roosters, 2 silkie male roosters, a small frizzle cochin male rooster (Who is of my most concern because Frizzles cannot fly), and 1 jersey giant male who has recently started crowing but shown no signs of trying to climb the latter of dominance sense he is the largest. Now it is currently winter in PA and snow is on the ground so the chickens are reduced to there coup and there fenced in area. My Uncle has recently gotten a sussex rooster that is fully grown and mature rooster, my only concern is introducing the male to the flock of bantams and standards as he will definitely climb to be the top rooster very quickly. All of the roosters are acclimated to one another because they were all chicks and grew up together, what is a good way to introduce them to one another. I only ask because they are couped up during the winter, if it was the spring the chickens have running space to get away. What should I do?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Why are you bringing this rooster to your flock? do you really need another rooster? What will his purpose be?

I forsee the smaller roosters having a very hard time of it, and the hens getting overmated. Sounds like a stressed, unhappy flock to me. I would not bring the rooster to my flock. If I were determined to get him, and had a purpose for him, I would separate the bantam roosters from the main flock and give them a bachelor pad. I don't think they're going to have a very good life.

3. Pnoah1

Dec 10, 2013
    Thank you I was thinking the same thing, I wanted to make seperate coups for each individual set breed of chicken. Brahma to a coup with a rooster with 10 hens, Rhode Island to a coup with ten hens. Thank you I want my chickens to be happy as well I just needed input on this.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I would not try bringing in another full grown rooster. It can only stir up trouble among the others.

5. Pnoah1

Dec 10, 2013

I told my Uncle this, and explained to him why it wouldn't be a good idea. At all but he insisted, but I have made it clear finally what this many roosters will do to a flock of hens. I love chickens I absolutely do, I want to one day be a Farmer of chickens and have a large plop of land with many coups and many chickens. I have read up and done my homework on chickens, alas he didn't listen to me so I came here sense I frequently read the forums here.

6. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Unless you are trying to breed your chickens you would only need 1 rooster for all 25 of those hens. The new rooster will definitely go after the other roosters and if they don't back down it will end up a bloody mess.

7. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Why does your uncle want this Sussex rooster?

You said this rooster would become dominant. The Jersey Giant rooster might have something to say about that. :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  8. Pnoah1

Dec 10, 2013

I say this because Yabo our Jersey has just crowed and gets picked on by silkie roosters. I think the more Mature male for a time will bee top dog until Yabo fully matures then Yabo will take head rooster as Jerseys are monster chickens when fully grown.

He wants the rooster because it is a free rooster, I mean he doesn't share my love for chickens as much as I do he likes them but doesn't have a passion for them.

9. Pnoah1

Dec 10, 2013

I remember correctly for breeding show birds, I went to the Harford fair where the hold a large contest for chicken shows and I talked to a professional about how to breed show chickens and sell them. He said that for 1 rooster it should be 10 or more hens, 10 being the minimum.

10. Mahlzeit

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Yep that's what they say.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by