How I Remodeled a $35 Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Je33ieg, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Je33ieg

Je33ieg Out Of The Brooder

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    I have just started my chicken journey and was lucky enough to find a two story chicken coop for sale on Craigslist for $35! Granted, it needed a lot of re-wiring, new wood, paint and removal of rusty nails. But here is what I ended up with:

[​IMG]

I must say, this is one of the best deals I have ever gotten for $35!!

2. FeatheredFreind

FeatheredFreind Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Clear Spring, MD
    That is great! You could also wire the bottom and have it 3 levels. That would allow your birds to get grass and bugs and all the dirt baths that chickens love to do.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Awesome deal! I don't know if you get cold weather there but you can also put up some plastic sheeting over the sides to give them more wind protection if desired.

I have used clear plastic sheeting from the paint department at Home Depot (also used plexiglass) to enclose some hutches - they should have no drafts on them when they sleep or it takes the warmth from between the feathers. Airflow up high in the coop is good- so the area over their heads should remain open. It is very cheap to use sheeting and lasts all winter. Then I take it down for summer.

4. Je33ieg

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    @FeatheredFriend -- I thought about that, but have been letting them free range for now. I may do that in the future!! :)

@ChickensAreSweet -- That's an excellent idea! I am in the upstate of South Carolina (the coldest it gets here is MAYBE 28 degrees; but hey, that's freezing to us!) I have been wondering what the best thing to do for the cold nights would be (without it looking tacky) and I think the plexiglass sounds like a great idea!

5. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    You don't need any changes to that if 28 is your annual low

6. Je33ieg

Dec 10, 2012
    Clemson, SC
    really? i was worried that would be too cold for the chickens.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Nice! Chickens are much more cold tolerant than heat tolerant. You do want to provide a draft-free, ventilated area for sleeping. If it is breezy in cold weather a wind break might be a good idea.

8. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    ^^^ this is true. I just wrap a tarp around my coop on any night that it gets below freezing(which is only like a week or two)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by