How I turned a family of chicken skeptics into a family of mostly chicken lovers.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LadyofChickRose, Mar 23, 2013.

1. LadyofChickRose

LadyofChickRose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    I was 10 years old when I started bugging my parents about getting chickens, my sister did not belive I could get them and raised her eyebrows constanly while I talked about them, and told me that I should be content with supermarket eggs, I told her I was not. So I formulated a plan to get them, and here it is; Step one, ask mom and dad what their qualifications were "if" we were ever to get chickens. Step two, do tons of reaserch on all subjects including care, health problems, types of coop, feed, space per bird, the difference between bantoms and large fowl, the type of range, and most importantly, the breed because you've got to find a bird that meets the qualifications, in my case it was the Black Australorp and on a whim from Mom some Guinea keets. Step three, express that you are willing to earn them both through responsiblities and the ever dreaded money matter, this will suprise them usally and through this method I earned the chickens, though my Dad loves building and built me a coop for my birthday, best gift ever.I finally earned the right to keep chickens in March of 2012 and I ordered the Black Australorps week later through my local feed store from were I got them in May. After a few weeks my sister had turned into a deicated chicken lover, my Mom was not there yet, my Dad is probably not going to like them forever though, he has to many memories of gutting birds from his childhood to accociate pleasant thought with them. The guineas arrived a month after the Australorps did, but they arrived through mail order. After the chickens began to really show their personallities Mom became a chicken lover. So thats my story, I would really like to hear yours.

2. LadyofChickRose

LadyofChickRose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2013
    Gaa! My tablet had a glitch and it changed this from the family forum! Sorry guys! I probably will try to repost in the family forum!

3. lalalovinlil

lalalovinlil Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2012
    I started hatching chickies when a friend of mine who has a chicken farm gave my dad some eggs to eat for breakfast. It's crazy but I took one of the eggs and incubated it with hot water balloons for three days until my dad bought me an incubator and guess what? It hatched! I've been hatching ever since and giving the 2 week old chicks to my friend who supplies me with the eggs. I actually just went to the store earlier in the month and bought some eggs from trader joes and whole foods. They are all fertilized and are hatching in 6 days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by