How I went from egg hobby to obsession

Pics

MissTracy

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
I woke up in a great mood today. I got three new girls yesterday and decided to take some pictures and show you guys around my farm!
6BBD3A39-59D9-45D8-A8FD-5291A0A1DF9E.jpeg

I started my flock with six Buff Orpington chicks about three years ago. Added some guinea keets for good measure. And then chicken math... you just keep adding. Initially started adopting birds from people who were moving, wasn’t interested in any particular breed, just loved spending time with them and the fresh eggs they provided my family.
Then you start hatching... and going to farm auctions... before you know it, you know A LOT about chickens. And the more you know, the more you have.
33DA164E-5BC3-4B08-B865-62D194D91A00.jpeg

Dark Brahmas are hard to find near me, so I decided I wanted some of these monster chickens 🤨. I was gifted a gorgeous rooster named Fernando, who at nine months is roughly the same size as my 2-year old daughter.
EC2B5CD1-0646-4071-A54D-829A5C50FCC0.jpeg

CA96FF9E-6EF5-40B3-AA00-7DA26FE90E9C.jpeg

And yesterday, I found him some companions. One dark one buff. Carmen and Rubia 😍
5ECB400B-850F-426D-8FEC-C892984E1738.jpeg

Cannot wait to hatch their babies!
On the other end of the spectrum, I have a mini flock of miniatures: Mr. Bojangles and the girls, Seramas.
444813D8-6AEA-4533-A74E-9147BAEE03DB.jpeg

C4EDE80C-C5CE-44C8-9A44-2163E0250FAB.jpeg
(The non-serama mutt in the photo above is Lucky. Only female of five eggs hatched from my mother-in-law’s flock. All four of her brothers were eaten by a fox in one night. She’s not big enough to be in with the main flock, so she keeps the little ones company. Also, she is just very pretty.)

Does that seem like a lot? No? Okay well there’s lots more 😁
2DBB35E2-4BC6-420C-97D9-85B8810EBC20.jpeg
I have had a good flock of black Bantam Cochins that I have hatched and sold and hatched and sold and hatched and sold. They are sweet and fluffy. Currently down to my last two, waiting for the right buyer to come along.

There is also Carl, my random white Silkie roo. He is an oddball for sure, hangs out with the layer flock and occasionally tries to sit on a nest. He has never had relations with any of my hens. I even put him in with some silkie girls and he just wasn’t interested. Love him.
B9F012D5-B374-4161-8717-86B9E533D52C.jpeg

A few of you may have seen my La Fleche flock I lucked out on getting a few weeks ago. They are doing great! Getting tons of eggs and will be incubating soon 🤩
C610466E-C8D9-4880-9B20-35DA670DB5A1.jpeg

I also have a flock of about thirty guineas in lots of different colors. I love how loud they are, I love how the hens get during laying season, and I love how they just generally have no sense. LOL.
A20948EE-D8BE-4B70-A074-3E276269422D.jpeg

37D68179-BE13-49F7-AE26-2778B67C1016.jpeg

66642029-0CF0-4292-8BC2-9A9D393D710D.jpeg

8B990CA0-EC14-4E33-A7A3-74889389A653.jpeg

It is time to rake and mulch all the pens, and I just thought it would be great to share all of these pretty babies with you. Maybe even motivate me to get it all done. 🤪
It’s almost hatching season and I am just so excited to have gotten to where I am now. It’s not glamorous, and I don’t make a ton of money, but man am I addicted!

I hope y’all enjoyed and I hope everyone has a great weekend! Show me a pic of your favorite babies! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

I woke up in a great mood today. I got three new girls yesterday and decided to take some pictures and show you guys around my farm! View attachment 2545849
I started my flock with six Buff Orpington chicks about three years ago. Added some guinea keets for good measure. And then chicken math... you just keep adding. Initially started adopting birds from people who were moving, wasn’t interested in any particular breed, just loved spending time with them and the fresh eggs they provided my family.
Then you start hatching... and going to farm auctions... before you know it, you know A LOT about chickens. And the more you know, the more you have.View attachment 2545853
Dark Brahmas are hard to find near me, so I decided I wanted some of these monster chickens 🤨. I was gifted a gorgeous rooster named Fernando, who at nine months is roughly the same size as my 2-year old daughter.View attachment 2545854
View attachment 2545855
And yesterday, I found him some companions. One dark one buff. Carmen and Rubia 😍 View attachment 2545857
Cannot wait to hatch their babies!
On the other end of the spectrum, I have a mini flock of miniatures: Mr. Bojangles and the girls, Seramas.
View attachment 2545861
View attachment 2545866(The non-serama mutt in the photo above is Lucky. Only female of five eggs hatched from my mother-in-law’s flock. All four of her brothers were eaten by a fox in one night. She’s not big enough to be in with the main flock, so she keeps the little ones company. Also, she is just very pretty.)

Does that seem like a lot? No? Okay well there’s lots more 😁
View attachment 2545869I have had a good flock of black Bantam Cochins that I have hatched and sold and hatched and sold and hatched and sold. They are sweet and fluffy. Currently down to my last two, waiting for the right buyer to come along.

There is also Carl, my random white Silkie roo. He is an oddball for sure, hangs out with the layer flock and occasionally tries to sit on a nest. He has never had relations with any of my hens. I even put him in with some silkie girls and he just wasn’t interested. Love him.
View attachment 2545871
A few of you may have seen my La Fleche flock I lucked out on getting a few weeks ago. They are doing great! Getting tons of eggs and will be incubating soon 🤩
View attachment 2545882
I also have a flock of about thirty guineas in lots of different colors. I love how loud they are, I love how the hens get during laying season, and I love how they just generally have no sense. LOL.
View attachment 2545887
View attachment 2545888
View attachment 2545889
View attachment 2545892
It is time to rake and mulch all the pens, and I just thought it would be great to share all of these pretty babies with you. Maybe even motivate me to get it all done. 🤪
It’s almost hatching season and I am just so excited to have gotten to where I am now. It’s not glamorous, and I don’t make a ton of money, but man am I addicted!

I hope y’all enjoyed and I hope everyone has a great weekend! Show me a pic of your favorite babies! ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
Thank you for sharing! They are all lovely!! I love how chicken math happens to just about everyone. :D

How many birds do you have in total currently?
As of today, I am sitting at 82. It has been as high as 120 during chick season. I will be setting up my incubator today to start my La Fleche eggs, and I have two more incubators that will hold 40-ish eggs when my guineas start laying.
My husband helped me convert a room in our barn into a brooder.
I have a problem. 😬

Back
Top Bottom