how ig is a good size pen for 2 hens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by the3ofus+oursixchicks, Mar 1, 2012.

1. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    ok something happen to my buff orpington daisey monday. my hens are pets and members of my family so needless to say i am heartbroken. they free range when we are home and we put them in their pen when we are not home. their pen now is 20 feet. we are adding another 20 feet to that today soit will be 40 feet long maybe 12 or 14 ft wide. i dont plan to leave them in there all the time just mostly when we have to be inside. we are outside people but you know you have things to do inside the house sometimes. so does this sound like a good size. i hate to pen them more but i dont want to lose my other 2 girls.

2. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    i should have put in here i hate to see animals penned in small pens but if its big thats not as bad. i drive by this persons house up here where i live and they have a grown german shephard that is maybe in a 5 by 5 pen and a dog house in it. irritates me i just want to stop and say would you please let that dog out.

3. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    that is huge for two chickens.!!!!

4. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry you lost Daisy. How very sad. I understand how hard it is. Our hens are very much family pets as well. We started with 4 Buff Orpingtons, and a raccoon got one of our babies. We have 3 now. I promise you that time will ease the pain. You must be feeling very raw right now.[​IMG] I think the run you are planning for them will be so nice. Plenty big, and in case chicken math begins to happen, you'll be ready!!

Sincerely,
    Kelly
    Our Country Chronicles

5. the3ofus+oursixchicks

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    thank you for your sympathy and encouragement. this is our first chicken experience. we got them last april so she was almost a year old. she was very special and still is to me. still heart broken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by