How I'm Keeping My Chickens Cool

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickaroo!, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Chickaroo!

Chickaroo! Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2007
    I had an earlier post about one of my chickens begin really lethargic since last night (she's better now). I think the heat made her feel horrible. Well, I'm not taking any chances with my other chickens so this is how I'm keeping them cool:

[​IMG]

They are in the a/c and have a fan on them also!

2. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* lol! Hope your summer is shorter than ours, Chickaroo! EACH wall unit a/c used adds about $8O a month per to our electric bill. We keep one on all summer in one bedroom and have 2 in other rooms for a few 'special use' days that amount to about 1-2 months extra a year max.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. GRAM49

GRAM49 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Indiana
    This weekend my husband brought home a huge pet carrier in anticipation of our new chicks arriving in a couple of weeks. I laughed at him, now I will have to go home and apologize. That is a great idea! About the heat. When mine are in the hen house we have a fan to create a cross draft. Also, when my daughter raised rabbits for 4-H we put a frozen 2-liter bottle of water in with them, but you may not want to do that in the house with the condensation. They sure look happy! Gram

4. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    I know they are cooler...happier... [​IMG]
    Lovebug and Ruby (they are the two on the ends) are making a racket!!!
    Maybe they don't like it in there?

5. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Aww they do look comfy!

6. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    Chickaroo, does this mean she's recovered? Is she back to normal?

[​IMG] Believe it or not, I was at a lunch meeting and in the middle of lunch thought, "I wonder how Chickaroo's chicken is doing!"

7. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Chickaroo! :

I had an earlier post about one of my chickens begin really lethargic since last night (she's better now). I think the heat made her feel horrible. Well, I'm not taking any chances with my other chickens so this is how I'm keeping them cool:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg187/headliners4u/IMG_0669.jpg

They are in the a/c and have a fan on them also!

you have them in your house? LOL [​IMG]

I sure can not consider that . NOT with 7 hens and 30 - 12 weeks olds ... HOLY COW​

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Cooling hints for anyone: Get the hose out, put it on "mist" and mist your flock for a while. Put some ice cubes in their water dish. Make sure their yard has shade.

9. funkychicken

funkychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    East Texas
    I read that someone put frozen water bottles in the cage...I thought about setting a couple of them in front of a fan with a drip pan under them to catch the excess moisture...I live in a very hot area and when my girls get here I think I will try this one...we work outside and do this for ourselves at times

10. Chickaroo!

Dec 27, 2007
    Yup, they are in my house. I emailed DH at work with the same pic I posted with the subject line "To Freakin' Hot". That's all I put in the email. I thought that it would be the best way for him to find out that I brought them in the house. And that he'd have time to "cool" off before he got home so he wouldn't yell!! LOL

I'm gonna put them outside after he gets home so they can free range. They'll probably sleep in the coop tonight (with a fan). It's suppose to be really hot again tomorrow so I may bring them back in tomrrow morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by