1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

How I'm treating a lice and mite outbreak (pics tomorrow)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by organicfoltzfamilyfarm, Aug 5, 2010.

1. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Songster

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    So my little white Silkie, whom I call CoolWhip, was shaking her head all day today. So I went to inspect and lo and FREAKING behold mites and lice INFESTATION!!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So I did a little searchin on the BYC and found a really good solution that I could treat them with ASAP.

Adams Flea and Tick Dip!

This is how it works (well works so far for me at least):

-Get a 5 gallon bucket and fill it with warm water.

-Put about 4 cap fulls into the water. This is way lower than the recommend per gallon. I didn't feel safe using a strong dose on the label because these chicks are still young.

-Dunk the chick/en in the water for about 30 to 60 sec. I noticed that just dunking them in the water didn't work. You actually have to splash them up and down and get into the feathers. If you skip the splashing part it just won't work. The lice and mites will just go closer to the skin.
    ***(Make sure you do not dunk their heads in the water!! They will drink the solution if there beak even gets close!! It can and will damage organs especially the eyes if not careful. Even with this weak of a solution.)***

-Take a old blanket or towel and put it on the ground for the chick when it comes out of the water. Wrap the chick up for a few mins to get off excess water.

-Take a blower dryer and start drying the chick/en off. Make sure you're about 5 to 8 inches away from the chick. Blow dryers get hot (obviously) but this always bears repeating. When blow drying them they should start to calm down (if they're acting wild) because they will notice that this is actually a nice experience. It's warm and the sound is actually pretty comforting. I always start at the neck and move my way down to the tail. When this is all dry flip them over onto their back, that's if they will let you. Mine little CoolWhip Just laid there and enjoyed it. I wish I would have taken pics but I was just in a rush to give them some comfort. Make sure they are completely dry unless it's a sunny day.

**Remember there are other options. Also remember that they will have to be treated again in about 10 to 14 days with a dusting.

That is the whole process! Unfortunately there just isn't an organic method that I've read of that seems like it would work instantly. Which I'm sure that I didn't get all of the mites in one go. This is why tomorrow they will be dusted with poultry duster.

I plan on posting pics of the Marans chicks getting their treatment tomorrow afternoon. I will also post how to clean and disinfect the coop, run, and food and water dishes. Even though the Silkies and Marans were not outside I decided that I need to start taking more precautions because this was so sudden.

Take my advice CLEAN THOSE COOPS, INSPECT THOSE BIRDS, AND PROSPER.

I can't believe I'm such a jerk for not checking earlier. So how I thought that I was invincible......

I really hope this helps most of you with your mite and lice problems.

Pics will come tomorrow.

Good night all. I don't think I'm going to sleep good. I might have night mares about man eating lice and mites that eat you from the inside out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  2. I used coconut oil and tea tree oil, put it into a spray bottle and went to town spraying my girls. The lice were done in 4 days. Plus the coop smelled great.

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    I have tea tree eo on hand but not coconut oil. I was doing something quick and easy. This is an INFESTATION. I had no idea!!! I'm glad you posted your suggestion. I would have loved to do something not so toxic but drastic times call for drastic measures.

4. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Seriously. I hope you got them. Remember to treat again in 7-10 days. Bugs truly are disgusting.

5. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    They really are. I'm so surprised that my other chickens are not infested!! We dusted them today with Garden and Poultry Dusting. Even the ones that didn't have them. I was going to take pictures today but completely forgot. We was dusting everything pretty much. That little 2lb can goes really far!

6. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Well I checked the Silkies again today. They have them on their crest still. I'm going to use a Q-Tip and apply the dusting that way.

Hope this works!!

7. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Also they are really skinny I can feel their breast bone really bad. They are eating normally. I need to get them to gain weight.

8. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I use Ivomec Pour On for mites, lice and worming. You can put the drops under the wing, it's easier than putting it behind the neck.

9. amsunshine

amsunshine Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Kansas
    Thanks for describing. Does anyone know, can you eat their eggs right after treating them with the Adams product, or with Sevin?

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member 9 Years

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sevin...yes. Adams...dont know,never use it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: