How important is a professional candeler light?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by astatula, Sep 24, 2009.

1. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    I am wondering if the Mag Light I have is as effective as a candeling light from a website. Will I be able to see what I need to see and make a accurate assessment of the eggs possible hatch with a standard flashlight?

2. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Yes, you can see what you need to see with a good, strong flashlight. Sometimes it's tricky trying to candle the dark eggs, but you should do fine with the others.

3. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    I found my little mag lite flashlight to be just fine. I built one with the bulb-in-the-can plan but I thought it was too hot.
    my mag lite has a little rubber boot over the head for ? don't know why, but it makes a soft surface to set against the egg.

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    it's not the light necessarily but the directive of the light. it's how you use the light.

a mini mag or a mag will be fine.

5. Lensters

Lensters Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2009
    Adair Village, OR
    I used to use a regular flashlight but it wasn't strong enough for the Welsummer eggs so I bought a stronger LED flashlight. It doesn't work much better because of all the light that goes through my hand making it harder to see the inside of the egg. I'm going to build a box candler after I finish four more runs and another coop. [​IMG]

6. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I use a small flashlight and an inch long PVC pipe that the flashlight barely fits into. Works great. For smaller eggs I slide a smaller pipe into the big one.

[​IMG]

7. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    I use a 15 million candle power (huge light) and I took a piece of cardboard that completely covers the lens and cut a small hole in the cardboard. I can see through all my brown eggs with no problems. hehehehehe [​IMG]

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I use a mini mag light and candled very dark Pensedenca and Wellsummers without a problem..just make sure your batteries are good [​IMG]

9. astatula

astatula Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Astatula
    Thank you everyone. That saves me a couple dollars that I can spend on some new Golden Campine chicks. My Barnevelder eggs are on their 7th day in the incubator and I am going to candle them tonight, keeping my fingers crossed for all spidery veins in them and new Barne's in 2 more weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by