1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How important is humidity the first few days? *New Questions*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ticks, Apr 22, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I ordered my hygrometers which were shipped last wednesday (4/15) Miss_Jayne shipped out my turkey eggs monday (4/20) and the hygrometer hasn't gotten here and I think that the eggs will get here first. What do I do? Can I fill the tray with water until the hygrometer gets here?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Im no expert but I would say a day or two with unknown humidity wont hurt much unless its a goose egg maybe or somthing. I think you should be ok.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Quote:Turkey eggs. I don't know if that would make a difference.
    THank you for your input [​IMG]

4. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Unless your humidity is extremely high, it won't make a difference if it's just for a few days. Just keep a moderate amount of humidity in the bator until you can get a reading.

Good luck with your eggs!

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Hey. My eggs just got here [​IMG]

6. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have a couple more questions.
    One. How long should I wait from the time I got the eggs to put them in the bator?

Two. My bator cannot stay a 99, it goes to 97 or 100-101.

Three. If i'm just guessing on the humidity for the first few days how much water should I put in the bottom rings. (LG still air)

thanks.

7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    I have read a lot of people having problems with temp fluctuations with LGs.. Most people having Hova-Bators are dong better on temps..

By reading this reviews is why I bought not only one, but as of now and this spring have 3 Hova-Bators going..

My temps will change a little in 2 of them but one is (so far) staying almost right on 99.5..

So I'd suggest going to your local are stores and see if any of them has a Hovak-Batro..

Reptile shops, Tractor supplies , and general type farm stores should carry them.. Of course in my area out of 5 .. 4 has LGs and only 1 carries the Hova-Batro..

If you can wait a week before setting, I just bought my (Hova-bator 1582) from here: Big window and cheap..

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/reptile-incubators/

then I bought 2 Sunon fans (110volt) from here: $15..ea.

http://www.buyextras.com/suac1180fanw.html

one fan for each incubator that didn't have a fan..

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Thanks. I'm not sure if I can wait a week. I don't have te money right now.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If it's a still air the 100-101 is perfect. My lg holds temp but the knob is very sensitive so it is near impossible to get it to set exactly on the degree I want. You have to basically apply pressure to the knob but don't let it turn enough you can actually feel it move. Also for both table top styrofoam bators the room temp can impact it by several degrees. If you don't mind keeping your house 3 degrees warmer or cooler you can get the incubator to run .5-1F different by just adjusting the room temp those few degrees.

10. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Where are the moisture rings located on an LG?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by