How important is Marek's vaccination?

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
Should I get the Marek's vaccination for my first time, backyard flock? Or is it risky to vaccinate the chicks?

After what I've been through, I would vaccinate everyone to protect "them" from dying. Otherwise, your flock of first birds does not need it.

If you hatch your own or buy day old chicks from a hatchery, I would tend to think that you would not have to. But if there's a chance that one day you will add to your flock with chickens that have been with other chickens, having vaccinated chickens will save you alot of heartache in the future.

It's a terrible disease, there's no cure, no test for it while they're alive, there can be almost no symptoms or the common paralysis or wasting away.

It's cheap, it saves lives, and there's really no risk.

i have had a problem with mareks, where 2 of my barnevelders, one jersey giant, and two sussex died of it. it is a TERRIBLE disease, and i would think anyone stupid for not vaccinating against it! Seriously, you wont understand until the disease hits your flock, and it is not worth just not bothering to vaccinate them!! Also does anyone know where i can buy some rumpless game fertilised eggs in suffolk???

i have had a problem with mareks, where 2 of my barnevelders, one jersey giant, and two sussex died of it. it is a TERRIBLE disease, and i would think anyone stupid for not vaccinating against it! Seriously, you wont understand until the disease hits your flock, and it is not worth just not bothering to vaccinate them!! Also does anyone know where i can buy some rumpless game fertilised eggs in suffolk???

You're right. It's a horrible disease and I only wish I had vaccinated. I would have saved lives and saved myself alot of crying.

Back
Top Bottom