How in the world? Dogs!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lilcountry, May 24, 2008.

1. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Please if anyone has ever had a dog with two ticks on its eyelid please help me figure a way to get them off! One is like a seed tick and the other a deer tick I believe! I have to go get them some more medicine but Ive been working so much the vet is closed when I get off. Im going ASAP though! But in the meantime anyone have any ideas. I tried tweezers but he wont hold still and I think they are on there pretty good.

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Don't those liquid drops for fleas and ticks make them drop off the animal? just a thought -- I'm no expert.

3. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    I just received an emai from a friend on this very topic. Put liquid soap on a cotton ball and hold over tic for 15 to 30 secs, give or take, and the tics should come off stuck on the cotton ball. Hopefully your dog can hold still enough so soap won't get in his eye. Good luck. [​IMG]

4. lilcountry

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Thanks Im about to go try, just hand washing soap or like dish washing?

5. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    Quote:The email didn't specify which. They are probably similar.

6. lilcountry

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    of course we are out of cotton balls Im going to try toilet paper

7. lilcountry

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    No it didnt work, he wouldnt really hold still either Ill call the vet and see if thye have any ideas. Thanks though, I hope thye are open...I think it would hurt bad with tweezers.

8. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh, how awful. How about a hot match on the ticks butt? Don't know if it really works. Keep us posted.

9. lilcountry

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    It probably would but the ticks are on his eyelid! I dunno if I can get a match to his eye, I called the vet and they say yank it with the tweezers or I can bring him by and they could do it. I cant take him til Monday though b/c I go to work in 30 min and dont get off til 9 tonight,they are closed tomorrow. But I think I can not yank it, I tried a little bit but I think it hurts him, one is kinda deep the other isnt bad but I couldnt get it off. [​IMG]

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Tick Removal

Many methods have been tried to remove ticks, many of which are not recommended. Applying a recently extinguished match or even a still lit match to the body of the tick will NOT cause the tick to back out and fall off. The mouthparts only let go when the tick has completed the meal. Also, applying fingernail polish will suffocate the tick but will not cause the tick to fall off.

# The best recommendation to remove a tick is to use a tweezers or commercially available tick removal device and pull the tick off. Do not touch the tick since diseases can be transmitted. Consider wearing gloves when removing a tick.

# With a tweezers or tick removal device, grab the tick as close to the head as possible. With steady, gentle pressure, pull the tick out of the skin. Frequently, pieces of skin may come off with the tick.

# If the head of the tick remains in the skin, try to grab it and remove as much as possible. If you are unable to remove the entire head, don't fret. This is not life threatening. Your pet's immune system will try to dislodge the head by creating a site of infection or even a small abscess.

# Usually no additional therapy is needed, but if you are concerned, contact your family veterinarian. There are surgical instruments that can be used to remove the remaining part of the tick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by