How involved are your kids??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicks4kids, Apr 28, 2009.

1. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    My oldest child, a girl, has completely become obsessed with our girls and the only solitary time that I get with them or the chicks, who are in a brooder in the garage, is when she's in school. She gets up in the morning and does all of the chicken chores as well as the dog chores. She has never done the dog chores before.

She is trying to convince me to build a larger coop so that we can have more barred rocks...this may be her way of trying to do so. She wants to raise them and sell them. Barred rocks aren't a breed that people raise too much around here.

What have your children done to either help out or become more entrepreneurial in the chicken field that has made you step back and say "Wow, he/she may be really serious about this?"

2. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    My dd is 2.5 years old and wants to squeeze the life right out of them!!! I figure a few more years and she'll be a big help but for now it is a struggle to keep chicks from getting loved to death!! [​IMG]

3. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    My daughter is 10 and she has really gotten into taking care of and working with our chickens, I bought her 10 1 week old pullets and she is obesessed with their care, she even cleans the coop/brooder every day and helps clip wings when needed, needless to say I am very proud of how she has taken the initiative and showing the responsibility of taking care of them!

4. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My 6yo son, adores the chickens. I have deemed him the "Chicken Whisperer" since the chicks actually crawl in his lap to be pet. Its nuts! Those chickens want nothing to do with me. He just enjoys playing with them, holding them and giving them treats. We have already decided to hatch eggs from an incubator next year, and he won't stop talking about it [​IMG]

My 2.5yo, likes them for about 5 minutes, and then her attention is diverted quickly [​IMG] and onto the next thing. Plus, she's "scared" of the chickens..."chickens scare me" she says...ugh, she's such a drama-queen!

My 12 yo step-daughter, likes to look at them for a few minutes and then is trying to casually sneak back inside to play on the computer [​IMG]

5. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    When I set the eggs, my 6 yr old thought they would hatch the very next night!

They are all watching the incubator like hawks now and getting excited that the eggs will be hatching this weekend. I am hoping this will get the 'hatching bug' out of my youngest daughter's system as she attempted to hatch an egg from her grandmother's house once in her bed! Thankfully I found the egg after she had it for only 4 days so mo major stink bombs in the house! [​IMG]

M

6. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    my 8 year old took her prize money out of the gold egg at Easter and bought 8 SLW of course I had to loan her a few bucks but I thought it was cute she take good care of them. But you know how has to buy the food lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by