How is it that my eggs are still fertile?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BookWorm243, Mar 22, 2011.

1. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    I need some help on this, I just cant figure this one out.
    I posted this back on 2/4/2011
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=448005
    At that time my rooster had been gone a month. I am now still getting fertile eggs! I have not gotten any new roosters since than and I never see any roosters in our yard. None of our neighbors have chickens either [​IMG] How is it possible that I am still getting fertile eggs?

Thanks!

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Can you get some better pics? I'm not even sure the eggs in the original pic are fertile.....

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Hens can store sperm for a really long time. Can't remember how long what I read said but it was longer than a month.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    According to the Miss State Ag extension website, the eggs can be fertilized up to 4 weeks after removal of the rooster due to storage of the semen in the oviduct. http://msucares.com/poultry/reproductions/poultry_long_hens.html

If
    you are still having fertilized eggs, you may have a Secret Santa Roo in the bunch. Or your girls are stepping out on you.

5. BookWorm243

BookWorm243 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Franklin, NC
    This is the only picture I could get ( my camera sucks ) I am sure that they are fertile. They have a clear bulls eye in the middle of the eggs. My hens eggs have looked this way since we first got the rooster we had. I have 3 full grown hens right now. 2 are laying me an egg a day and the other one we purchased a couple weeks ago and is 2 years old ( currently not laying ) My hens stay in the flat part of our yard and I have not seen any rooster around [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    So the little whiten thing means fertilized

Man I crack those eggs open all the time from the store..

I should try incubating them..hehehhe

7. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    No, the little white thing does not mean fertilised. I'm not convinced that the picture shows a fertilised egg. I can't see a very clear 'hole' in the center of the white spot.

8. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    My non-fertilized eggs have that same spot (never had a rooster around). They don't appear to be fertilized.

9. aggie9296

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by