How is it there are still chickens?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by P-Funk, Jul 30, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    They have no offense, other than a tiny beak. They have no defense, they fly about 10 feet and run about 9 miles an hour. Explain to me how they have managed to survive.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    The today's chickens of all breeds do not look like the bird of thousands of years ago. Survival for the fittest.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

At least 100,000 BYC members are providing food & shelter for them, and breeding more in their backyard flocks.

Then there are the hatcheries....

4. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    2 Words CHICKEN MATH.......

5. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    chickens survived from human keeping them while their ancestors the jungle fowl survived for having good flying abilities and hiding in their tropical surroundings, they have light feathers and a small body so they move better like a pheasant

6. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    because, they have enslaved a superior race. They have us waiting hand and foot, nanny for their babies, cook for them, bring them treats, clean house for them, doctor them, feed and water them, put fans on them when they are hot, who couldn't survive that? [​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:... put AC in their coop for them, hatch as many of their eggs as we can.... etc.... etc....

Next year I think I'll insulate the coop... it should help with the AC bill.

8. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Quote:LOL - so true. However, there are feral chickens that survive remarkably well in a number of places here in Hawaii, in spite of the prevalence of dogs. Those wild chickens are fast and smart!

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I want to go to Maui someday... just to see the chickens.... and perhaps bring home some hatching eggs!

10. Rockin' Reds

Rockin' Reds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Penrose, Colorado
    Quote:Ha ha ha!!! Good point...those sneaky 'lil rascals have us doing all the work! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by