How is our people surviving Gustav?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by smom1976, Sep 1, 2008.

1. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    We here in pensacola havent done too bad, we had quite a bit of wind and rain. We are getting ready for another large band that is getting ready to come our way.

Our power has flickered most of the day.

I know there were a bunch of us BYC people that were in the heart of this storm. Just wondering how they did or are doing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  2. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    with no replies.. apparently they arent.. [​IMG]

3. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    north fla here we are doing good here some showers and a little breeze nothing bad at all here..

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Just able to log on using generator. No power here in Woodville, MS (between Natchez and Baton Bouge) no power in either of those cities either so looks like we will be out for a while so I won't be able to hang out on BYC.

We had a lot of people from Lafayette come stay here and we got it much worse than Lafayette. They are going home to homes that have power and phones - we have neither.

We lost some of the huge old Live Oak trees (100s of years old) around our home and they took out the gardens and fences when they fell but we are blessed - Family, friends and homes are all fine.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have heard that some places are without electricity [​IMG] , so that may be why we havent heard from some. I hope everyone is doing well. Hopefully we will hear from them soon.

Anybody heard from Mitzi?

We had an uncommon heatwave these last 2 days and now a loud thunderstorm and torrential rains. Do you think the wind from the hurricane could have blown some way up here?

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Oh good to hear from you Ruth. I am glad your people are safe. Good luck hoofin it without electricity. [​IMG]

7. smom1976

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    I do want to keep this thread up so that when they do get electricity they can post.. we do care about you all...

prayin for all ya...

glad to see you again ruth..

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  8. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am just grateful the levees in New Orleans held up. I hope all our people down Louisianna way are doin ok. I hear hurricane Hanna is susposed to go up the Atlantic coast of Florida and hit Georgia and S. Carolina. I also hear there is a tropical storm called Ike that might also turn into a hurricane.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    It is still storming here - really coming down hard. I'm afraid for the people in low lying areas. Our pond has already filled up and it had completely dried up during the drought. Luckily our house is high on a hill but our area is being drowned in the non-stop pouring rain.

10. aggiecatholicmom

aggiecatholicmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    We live north of Beaumont, TX, and evacuated on Friday afternoon to Nacogdoches. We came back yesterday, as the storm completely missed us.
    Luckily, our chickens, rabbit, and parakeets did ok on their own for the 2 1/2 days. We'd left the hose running for the chickens, so they had a slight flood, but they like the mud, I think. Buy, were they happy to see us, though!
    Thanks for asking!
    -Jennifer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by