How is the lavender colored chicken created

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by WinterSkyMoonRanch, Jul 25, 2011.

1. WinterSkyMoonRanch

WinterSkyMoonRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2011
    California
    How are lavender colored chickens created? What colors do you cross to get lavender?[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lavender is not a cross of genes, it is its own, autosomal recessive gene. Both parents must contribute a copy of lavender to the offspring for it to be lavender.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:its a single recessive gene, reprecented by lav+(where Lav is for dominant none lavender gene) that will produce a lavenderish color on a self black background...

Lave can't be created if the gene is not present in the birds genotype..

but you can created Platinum Blue.... wich is the mix of one copy of Dominant Blue(Bl) and one copy of dominant Dun(I^D)...

here is a pic of Mr. Hen's Platinum Blue..

[​IMG]

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
  5. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lavender is lav, not-lavender is Lav+. Marvin, you got the + on the wrong allele [​IMG]

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:but its recessive...? I guess the + sign is for genes found on Red Jungle Fowl...[​IMG] recessive or not..

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:but its recessive...? I guess the + sign is for genes found on Red Jungle Fowl...[​IMG] recessive or not..

Yes, the + is for wild-type alleles as found on the red jungle fowl, regardless of dominance. Upper case for dominant (or incompletely dominant); lower case for recessive. Nothing in the nomenclature to say it is autosomal or sex-linked, though.

8. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:its a single recessive gene, reprecented by lav+(where Lav is for dominant none lavender gene) that will produce a lavenderish color on a self black background...

Lave can't be created if the gene is not present in the birds genotype..

but you can created Platinum Blue.... wich is the mix of one copy of Dominant Blue(Bl) and one copy of dominant Dun(I^D)...

here is a pic of Mr. Hen's Platinum Blue..

http://thumbnails15.imagebam.com/14143/6496ec141422828.jpg

Is there a thread dedicated to the color and what breed is the bird? I ran across this a few days ago on a thread it appears very similar to some OE bantams we have been working with ,as pullets anyway, I had intended to contact the original poster to try to confirm the male appearance.

9. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    1 person likes this.
  10. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:Thank You Henk69

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by