How is this going to work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyd2008, Jan 4, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    About a week ago, I had my bator die that my duck eggs were in. They were cool to the touch and the temp in the bator was 82 when I noticed it (Christmas morning I remember!! [​IMG] ) They were about day10 then. They should be due between the 9th and 11th. I was candling last night, and there are a few that look very full, like I remember the pekins I hatched around Xmas looking the last week of incubation. So those seem to be on time. Then there are some that still have a lot of open space inside the shell? They are all due around the same time, but judging by the candling, seem to be at least 3-4 days different? They are all in the same bator, and I have chicken eggs due around the same time, that are sharing a bator with other eggs that are not due yet.
    So when it comes time for the duck eggs to be 'due', since there are some that are noticeably younger, should I take them out and put them in a different bator, or will they be ok if they are a few days behind the other ones, but still in the same bator? I had not expected to have a staggered duck hatch, just chickens!

2. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

If you have another bator you can use as a hatcher I would definately use it. That way you can have the HIGH humidity that is required to hatch duck eggs and not affect the chickens.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have another bator, but it needs to be used for the chickens eggs. Can I put the two together for the hatch? They are right about the same time.

But all the ducks are due (technically) at the same time, so do I just go by the way they look as for the hatch date or what? I don't know how this should be done!

Evidently the low temp slowed some down, but some it didn't. So that's where my dilemma comes in. [​IMG]

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Duck eggs and chicken eggs require different humidity levels would be my only concern. I HAVE had to set duck and chicken eggs together and just ran the humidity a little high. If your humidity is too high the chicken embryos will drown in the egg. If it is too low the duck will not develop correctly.

5. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    [​IMG] crazy chick
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    christina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by