How is this possible?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryanhodapp, Jan 26, 2011.

1. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    For the last 2 days we have found eggs outside of the coop. I know, not unheard of--but, one was on the snow. My girls havent been out since it snowed 2 weeks ago. Then today we found one by our back door on our patio.

How are these eggs getting there?
    I was wondering if our dog was taking them out and tries to play with the "ball". But they arent broken, dont you think he would break them?

Any clue?

thanks,

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    [​IMG]

That's a stumper... Do any of your neighbors have chickens or are there 'wild' ones roaming around?

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    This is a puzzle.

I have seen my chickens push eggs around the yard. It is very curious and funny to watch.

It seems sometimes they push one of the other chicken's eggs out of the next or even out of the coop.

Other than that, and you said you found eggs outside a fence, I'm wondering if these are visiting chickens.

It would be nice if you actually saw this scenario in action.

Geri

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe they were there two weeks ago and you didn't see them in the snow? Are they white eggs?

5. foxnthehenhouse

foxnthehenhouse Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    Mexico,Mo.
    I kinda liked the idea of ferrell chickens runnin everywhere. [​IMG]

6. Jane Jill Jack

Jane Jill Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    I've had eggs hidden before under large logs and other holes. We found out they were rats because there were large holes everywhere, and the eggs were layed on top of grass. If not rats, I have no clue. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:You mean rats moving eggs around like that? Wow. Long as the rats aren't the ones laying them I guess it would make sense.

8. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    thanks for the replies.
    the eggs are from EE's, so colored

I didnt think about rats, I did have one around about Christmas time, but havent seen him since. It still would be a long way for a rat to roll. He would have to get it out of the coop (either by window or 2 steps into yard). that would be at least 10 feet and then another 10-20 where we found them.

I live in the city, no stray chicks running around.
    We are going to have to get a video camera.

9. ryanhodapp

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    Update:
    it is my dog. He is going in the coop (he can push the door open) and stealing the "balls". So they either break on him or he gets them out to the yard. I got that door fixed tonight. He's been eating better than us lately!

Marlene:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by