How is this Sympathy Note?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Laurajean, May 6, 2011.

1. Laurajean

Laurajean Slightly Touched

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I work from my home office at my job, and over the years, I've really gotten to know our customers a lot over the phone, and deal with them several times a year, year after year. Last year one of our closest customers died, a super nice woman who we really liked a lot. I sent her partner a Peace Lilly, and she called us this year to say she still has it and appreciates our thoughtfulness, which was very moving.

Now, my boss just told me yesterday that another customer of ours, had a child, about 10 years old with Down Syndrome, who passed away several months ago. I don't know the specifics of his death, and we only just found this out this week. Certainly explains why she has been despondent on the phone when I call.

Anyway, I want to send her a sympathy card, but I'm not real up on "proper etiquette". I chose a card with pretty artwork of a flying barn swallow and some flowers, and a blank inside. I jotted the following down on a slip of paper, and am wondering if it sounds appropriate. I certainly mean it sincerely, but I never know what to say to someone when they lose a loved one, especially their child.

I wrote: "<boss name> told me the sad news of your loss. Please know we think of our customers as valued family, and our hearts are with you during this time, and always. Sincerely, Laura and <boss name>"

Does this sound appropriate? I don't want to send anything upsetting, I just want her to know that we care.

It's funny (not ha ha funny) how I've become close with many of our customers simply by checking in with them several times a year on the phone. I would say this closeness with the customers is my favorite thing about my job, although sad news like this really does hit me as though it's a family member. [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Laurajean, I think it sounds very thoughtful and kind and I am sure it won't offend. I am sure the recipient will appreciate your thoughtfulness. I know I would...

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

How sad!!! There must be some organization out there that supports research for DOwn Syndrome and a small donation in her name to them would be really really nice. Your note is just fine too.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Well done.[​IMG]

5. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    I think the note sounds lovely. It's short, to the point, yet quite compassionate. If I was in her position, I'd really appreciate knowing that other people cared enough to send a card. [​IMG]

6. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks everyone. Maybe it seemed like a silly question, but I just wanted to make sure it was kind and not offensive. I was also hoping the "our customers are like family" line wasn't tacky sounding, but I really do mean it. When I moved away, many of these customers complained to my boss, and because of that, he offered me the opportunity to telecommute from my new home, so I will always be grateful for that.

I cannot imagine what it would be like to lose a child.

And Deb, I didn't want to do anything about donating to Down Syndrome because A) My boss THINKS it was Down Syndrome, but never outright asked, so I'd hate to make that mistake, and B) We don't know if that was related to his death or not. I figured it would be more discreet not to mention that at all, and simply let her know we are sorry for her loss, whatever the circumstances were.

I sent out the card. I appreciate all the input, thank you.

7. debilorrah

Quote:Ah, I understand. What a nice gesture that you thought of reaching out right away. I don't care what anyone else says about you, you have a heart of gold and are a funny gal to boot. I am proud to call you my friend.

8. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Ah, I understand. What a nice gesture that you thought of reaching out right away. I don't care what anyone else says about you, you have a heart of gold and are a funny gal to boot. I am proud to call you my friend.

Aw geez, what are they saying about me NOW? [​IMG] Thanks Deb, I truly appreciate that you know me for who I really am, and I'm very happy that we're friends too. [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

Aw geez, what are they saying about me NOW? [​IMG] Thanks Deb, I truly appreciate that you know me for who I really am, and I'm very happy that we're friends too. [​IMG]

Nothing new I promise!!! I am just thinking about past threads, people. You are a light. I am a light too.

10. Laurajean

Apr 2, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Aw geez, what are they saying about me NOW? [​IMG] Thanks Deb, I truly appreciate that you know me for who I really am, and I'm very happy that we're friends too. [​IMG]

Nothing new I promise!!! I am just thinking about past threads, people. You are a light. I am a light too.

You know what? Even if there was something new, I don't care anymore. I'm at peace with who I am.

We're a light unto each other! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by