1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How is Water Egg Test Relevant to "Don't Wash Your Hatching Eggs"??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jumbocoturnix, Oct 1, 2016.

1. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    Essentially, my question is many bird farmers stated not to wash hatching eggs, but if someone performs water egg test, doesn't that mean those eggs won't hatch? Doesn't that beat the purpose? A bit confused there - I'm curious to learn more about quail raising. Please share some of your opinions!

Thank you all

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Water is a problem because it contributes to bacteria infestation but the float test is only for after the incubation period to see if there is any movement in the bird about to hatch.
    Wait till the day after they're supposed to hatch to float test them.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  3. jumbocoturnix

jumbocoturnix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2016
    That makes sense - thank you!

4. austin66

austin66 New Egg

Jun 7, 2016
    well if you wash them you are scrubbing the layer of the shell that keeps them from getting bacteria but if you set them in water it doesn't wash it off

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    True but the moisture itself is a vector for bacterial growth in the environment of the incubator. Even condensation for too rapid heating can be a problem.

6. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    You have to scrub them to remove the bloom layer from the egg. Float testing them will not harm the bloom coating and, float testing is only used after your hatch is done to make sure that there aren't any late bloomers that need an extra day to hatch. Without floating them they would die in the trash anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by