How is your straight run luck?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Those of you hoping for a certain gender....how is your luck with straight run?
Last spring we got 3 silkies, one was a roo. Two ameraucanas, one was a roo. Two Icelandic’s, one was a roo.
I’d REALLY really like to order 5 silkies, but they are straight run only....so at this point, I’m not :(

My straight run has always been about 50/50.
If I wanted 5 pullets id order 10 and give away males when they get older.

I do the same thing as the moonshiner. Sometimes you get a really nice roo and don't mind keeping an extra around but that is if you can tolerate the crowing. Me the coops and run is not at my house but my shop so that is why I have a few extra roos. If they get mean and are "bad boys" then they have to go!:barnie

I just hatched some myself and am curious how my luck will be had 36 eggs and 28 hatched. Hopefully I have a better ratio than 50/50 but as they say we will see who crows first! :pop

I know you do not want too many roos so like 1 roo to 12 hens or more. If I have 14 roos then some will definitely go. It should be interesting to see what they look like. The roo is a Light Brahma and the hens are various pure breeds so a lot of barn yard specials. :ya

I've ordered silkies twice over the years from ideal. First time I ordered 6 and got 6 girls. Second time I ordered 3 and got all girls again ! But I also ordered 4 frizzles and got 3 rooster. Its just luck of the draw I guess.

The only time I’ve bought straight run was with some ducklings last season- out of 10 ducks, all from different breeders, I ended up with 8 males and two females. :th Sold the males easily and now have fixed my numbers!! :rolleyes:

Not sure what sex is from Easter Sunday hatch but I put 12 eggs in incubator in Febuary only had 8 hatched but all 8 were pullets.

Back
Top Bottom